Will frontline on my dogs prevent my cats from tapeworm?

My cats are getting worms from the two dogs that I have. Every 2-3 months I have to take the cats to the vet to get them injected to kill the tapeworm from ingesting fleas. Now, my dogs haven't had fleas in a while, but they're the only ones that go…

My cats are getting worms from the two dogs that I have. Every 2-3 months I have to take the cats to the vet to get them injected to kill the tapeworm from ingesting fleas. Now, my dogs haven't had fleas in a while, but they're the only ones that go…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will frontline on my dogs prevent my cats from tapeworm?...

• Will frontline on my dogs prevent my cats from tapeworm?

Will frontline on my dogs prevent my cats from tapeworm? General Dog Discussions
      My cats are getting worms from the two dogs that I have. Every 2-3 months I have to take the cats to the vet to get them injected to kill the tapeworm from ingesting fleas. Now, my dogs haven't had fleas in a while, but they're the only ones that go outside. Will applying frontline to my two dogs continuously every month help prevent my cats from getting these tapeworms?

Will frontline on my dogs prevent my cats from tapeworm? General Dog Discussions
    • It will help but it will not prevent. Are your cats also getting medication each month for the flea control? It only takes 1 infected flea for your cat to swallow (usually when grooming) for your cat to get tapeworms. You can also bring a flea into your house without realizing it. Tapeworms are a nuisance to deal with but are, unfortunately, a part of owning a pet. They can get an injection to get rid of them but if they ingest another infected flea they will be infected again.Get your cats on a monthly preventative, keep your dogs on a preventative and you will cut down on the risk but the possibility is always there for reinfection.

• Unfortunately even if your dogs are treated fleas still can get into your house so best to keep the cats on it as well. If you have cats in your neighbourhood that free roam or squirrels or other wild animals that come into your yard, they can bring fleas. Then you can carry them in on a pant leg. Fleas also don't immediately drop dead when they hop on your treated dogs so they could end up hopping off and onto one of your cats. Fleas feed on the larvae for tapeworm so when a cat swallows a flea it can end up with a tapeworm. Are you aware that whether its Advantage or Frontline the cat, small dog, big dog versions are all the same product in the tubes? The only difference is the dose amount in the tubes. So you could buy either of these products in the largest dog size and then use a syringe and dose both the dogs and cats. I did this recently when I stupidly brought my cats to a pet expo I was part of for TICA and didn't have them on any flea preventative. I had them out of their cage walking around on leash and two days later found out we'd brought fleas back to the house. I have both a huge dog and four cats so I bought the extra large dog version of Advantage, gave the dog one tube and then dosed the four cats (and three ferrets!) with another tube. SO much cheaper to do it that way than to buy both the dog and cat versions. Twice in the last few years I've had a flea infestation and both times felt Advantage worked FAR faster.Another advantage of Advantage (no pun intended) is that it's a reclosable tube with a cap as opposed to a plastic vial that can't be reclosed like it is for Frontline. I also bought my meds on 800petmeds.com and only paid $39.99 for a four pack. Total cost to dose all my animals per month comes out to only around $20!FYI - also note that Praziquantel - the medication that kills tapeworms - is also found at 800petmeds.com and is non-prescription. After this recent attack of fleas two of my cats ended up with tapeworm and it was only $16.99 for a bottle of three pills - 1 1/2 for each cat was the dose to kill off the tapeworm. Certainly a LOT cheaper than whatever you paid at the vet.