Have you had prostate problems with your male chihuahua?

My chihuahua is 3 years old.

My chihuahua is 3 years old....
    General Dog Discussions : Have you had prostate problems with your male chihuahua?...

• Have you had prostate problems with your male chihuahua?

Have you had prostate problems with your male chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
      My chihuahua is 3 years old.

Have you had prostate problems with your male chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
    • Hi,Many older dogs have prostate problems whatever breed they are. Since your dog is so young, you might consider surgery. It is unusual for a young dog to have this problem.On older dogs I really believe the surgery is too painful to make it a reasonable choice in pain versus successful outcome. In European countries the treatment of choice for BPH is saw palmetto. I would try that if the dog were older, since yours is so young, you might want to weigh all your options.Neutering your dog or not neutering is not the cause of this problem, so don't let people put guilt on you. It is just a naturally occurring problem of aging. And as I said your dog is having an unusual problem at this age. Did the vet diagnose it for sure? Because he is so young it might be an unrelated cancer that has just affected his prostate. Or it might be a misdiagnoses. I have chihuahuas both altered and unaltered and this is just not a usual problem.I hope your dog is doing better soon.