Any advice on caring for a dog with diabetes?

I have an eleven year old Lhasa Apso who has been diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. Her sugar level is 324. I've heard about other diabetic dogs who died in a year or six months after being diagnosed. I'm really worried. If anyone has experience or…

I have an eleven year old Lhasa Apso who has been diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. Her sugar level is 324. I've heard about other diabetic dogs who died in a year or six months after being diagnosed. I'm really worried. If anyone has experience or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any advice on caring for a dog with diabetes?...

• Any advice on caring for a dog with diabetes?

Any advice on caring for a dog with diabetes? General Dog Discussions
      I have an eleven year old Lhasa Apso who has been diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. Her sugar level is 324. I've heard about other diabetic dogs who died in a year or six months after being diagnosed. I'm really worried. If anyone has experience or knowledge about caring for a diabetic pet I would love to hear it.Thanks for any helpful answer!

Any advice on caring for a dog with diabetes? General Dog Discussions
    • Does your dog drink a lot of water? Because I believe mine has had diabetes for over 2 years, but he's still alive. He's also 15. So your dog might still have a few years.I'm sorry to hear about the poor pooch. But I know you will take good care of her. That's the best thing we can do.

• Aww I am sorry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with Diabetes. But you know its not the end of the world, it can be such an easy treatment if you take the time to care for you dog. I had a cat who lived with diabetes for 12 yrs, in the end he wasnt put to sleep due to his diabetes but because he was 23 and his organs were giving out. I gave him injections twice a day, and i would also do a blood glucose curve at home (where you prick their paw pad to record how it went in a day). You can also put them on a special diet for diabetic dogs/cats too. So please dont be worried and dont let others make you feel like you cant do it because you CAN!! And you lil girl is counting on you to try. If you need anymore questions answered please email :)

• I've had animals with diabetes and I've cared for other people's animals that have had diabetes. At first it is quite scary with giving the shots and all but after awhile it just becomes routine. First, follow your vets instructions exactly. The insulin needs to be given at the same time each day if possible. Feed a high fiber food as sometimes in dogs this will decrease the amount of insulin that your dog requires to stay stable. Keep a notebook each day with the amount you feed, how many units of insulin you use, the results if you tested the blood glucose, and any abnormal things. Take this notebook to your vet appointments and show your vet your findings. Treat your insulin kindly. It should be in date and properly refrigerated. Provide an even amount of exercise for your dog. For example don't run him one day and not the next. Don't adjust the insulin dose without telling your vet. Dogs are actually regulated differently than people. Keep your dog's teeth clean. Dental disease affects the amounts of insulin that is given. Check for urinary tract infections and other things as diabetes lowers the immune response.Yes it's true diabetes can be difficult to treat in some dogs. However in the majority do live a nice happy life in spite of it.