Would you put your old dog to sleep?

Our dog is abt 16 yo, has arthritism cataracts, loss of hearing, and other problems associated with old age. It is not easy to see her coping with her deteriorating health and many ppl hv said its time to put her to sleep. Somehow we just cannot do…

Would you put your old dog to sleep?

Our dog is abt 16 yo, has arthritism cataracts, loss of hearing, and other problems associated with old age. It is not easy to see her coping with her deteriorating health and many ppl hv said its time to put her to sleep. Somehow we just cannot do…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would you put your old dog to sleep?...

• If the quality of life is not there, and the dog is not happy, then I would put her to sleep. Allowing her to suffer is not showing her love. Putting her out of her misery humanely is..

• I know that is like putting one of your children to sleep. But if they get to the point to where you know they are suffering, it is best. My Mom jokes and says if she gets to the point where she poops herself she wants to be put down,lol. Hope that made you smile =)Sorry you are having to make this decision.

• Dogs cannot tell us they are in pain. If a dog is limping excessively, he could be in excruciating pain, and you'd never know it. If a dog's quality of life is gone, there is no reason to force that dog to keep living. A dog who cannot see/hear is confused and scared all the time. He has no idea what's around him or where he is. He could fall down a flight of stairs or run into a wall. He could be stepped on or attacked by a passing animal because he cannot anticipate it. Life is a constant stressful, painful ordeal for him, and I do think that is wrong.If my dog were suffering that much, there would be no doubt in my mind. No animal should have to suffer because an owner is too selfish to let go.

• Ok let me cry on your shoulder. I have had a Min Pin for 4 years. He is like one of my kids. My daughter even called him her brother. A week ago Sunday, he got bitten in the face by a Cotton Mouth snake,trying to protect me in our yard. He only weighed 9 lbs. We rushed him to the ER, they gave him shots. Over the next few days He just kept on getting worse. By Thursday we had to make the decision to put him to sleep. His kidneys and his liver shut down and his little mouth was starting to rot from the inside out from the venom. He had taken so much fluid from the bite swelling that after we put him to sleep we weighed him, he weighed 35 lbs. I got to hold him while they administered the sleepy medicine. I still cant rest and eat, But I know it was for the best. Our Vet recomended it. We buried him in the yard. So please try not the be selfish and let the oldtimer rest. If you can be there for your dog during the Euthanasia it will help. I was the last person he saw and heard. It is not easy. Good luck

• In my experiences with my two Cocker Spaniels, my vet told me that when they got to the point when they could no longer eat or hold their own waste, then it was time for them to go. Also, if they were a great amount of excruciating pain. Usually, if a dog dies a natural death it is very painful for them. I would just keep a close watch on her habits and you will know when she is telling you it's time to go.Kim at: http://www.peaceful-organic-planet.com/natural-pet.html

• I'd consult with your vet , there are medications to help all those conditions, but would it give her /him a longer life, that's up to you and the vet.I've had to put old animals down because their qaulity of life hasn't been good. It's not easy and I cried buckets for days afterwards, but in the end it was an act of kindness to put them out their misery.

• As other people have said, if you are asking the question than maybe you should wait. Dogs will let you know when it's time. Signs to watch out for are not eating, not drinking, and not playing. You said your dog still plays with the other dogs, therefore he still has a certain level of quality of life. A dog at death's door won't want to play - they will be too tired. There are meds & herbal remedies that can make your dog more comfortable and being blind & deaf isn't a death sentence. Your best bet would be to talk to your veterinarian. When it's time, you'll know. Your dog will tell you.

• Hi Sal,That is a really hard question. I sympathise. I had to have my cat put to sleep a few years ago and I still think about him a lot.The fact that you are considering this step shows that you are intending to do the right thing.You could always get a professional's opinion on your dog's condition.Sometimes when we own and love an animal we can be blinded to their true condition. For instance my neighbours had a cat that was suffering from severe arthritis. They didn't bother to take it to the vet to get medication for it. With time, the cat deteriorated. The owners did have it put to sleep eventually but the cat had to get really bad first. It seemed like the cat's sorry condition was blatantly obvious to everyone except the owners themselves.Other than that, look at the dog, does she enjoy her life? Just like people with illnesses and disabilities can still live a fulfilled life, I believe so can animals. You would have to be the judge of that.I think actually that the dog will "tell you" when it's time for her to go.chirpy

• first off you can use adequan injections for pain for arthristis, if she still eats ok, and is still enjoying life (if her pain is being mangaged such as the adequan injections or use metacam) i say let her stay. If her pain is not being managed i say let her go...this is what happened with our lhasa a couple yrs a go, he was 16, confused, wandering in circles, slpet all the time, deaf, he was not enjoying quality of life. but he no longer played at all.my hubby was unable to let him go, finally he had a stroke and we had to take him and have him euthanized. So i would go with if your dog is being managed with pain med and still plays and eats and is having quality of life keep her alive but if not let her be in heaven. carolyn h

• while yes it is a hard thing to do ..... but sometimes you just have to let Ppl and animals you love dearly go .... it easy to say but also hard to do .... like my cat she was suffering too coming do with many disability ... and i couldn't let her go but i had too ..... it was hard at first but i thought more about her news then my own ...... what if i was in her in my cat place i would've want it the same way.... so what ever choice you make is up to you....let me say your dog is so strong to be fight for her life....that means to me she don't want to let you go 2.