how much does it cost to get a dog dewormed?

i just got a 8week old puppy today and im not sure if he has worms, but just incase i was wondering about how much it would cost me to deworm her.

i just got a 8week old puppy today and im not sure if he has worms, but just incase i was wondering about how much it would cost me to deworm her....
    General Dog Discussions : how much does it cost to get a dog dewormed?...

• how much does it cost to get a dog dewormed?

how much does it cost to get a dog dewormed? General Dog Discussions
      i just got a 8week old puppy today and im not sure if he has worms, but just incase i was wondering about how much it would cost me to deworm her.

how much does it cost to get a dog dewormed? General Dog Discussions
    • You can get a bottle at a pet store for a few dollars or go to the vet, then you need to pay office visit too.New puppy I would get to the vet for an exam, your breeders contract should give you a time frame to do so. Take a stool sample with you.

• It cost a heck of a lot less than having a sick dog. Go to a vet and get it done right when you get their other shots. If you are not seeing any problems, I would not just 'assume' that they have worms. They probably don't.

• you can go to your vet and they will give you pills. this will cost the visit plus the prescription. You can also go to petco or petsmart and get liquid dewormer for about $10. It works, but at 8 weeks old you should have your pet checked by the vet. Also, if you do go to the vet, do not let your pup touch the floor. I say this because of the canine parvovirus, which is contagious to all pups.

• You can go buy some dewormer from a walmart, but I would highly suggest just going ahead and making an appt with your regular vet and having her seen. Typically dewormer isn't very expensive at your vet either. It is the cost of the vaccines, physical exam, and fecal that can cost (which are all necessary). A lot of times you get free stuff on your first visit too (food, flea prevention, and heartworm prevention - which are all necessities too)Reason for vet visit is b/c a general dewormer, which is all you can reliably get at Walmart) doesn't cover intestinal parasites like giardia, coccidia, and tapeworms. Sometimes, puppies can come from a "breeder" with these too, it all depends. Your vet would do a fecal exam where they check her stool to make sure that the can't see any of the microscopic larvae that can be present if your dog has any intestinal parasites. Also, your puppy is gonna need to get just a wellness exam to ensure that she doesn't have any other underlying health problems (heart murmurs, flea infestations, vaginitis, ear infections/mites,etc..) These are some things that your vet examines for when they are looking over your dog. SHe is old enough to start her puppy vaccines and will need a series of shots (8, 12, 16 weeks most likely). Your vet will also probably give you a free sample of puppy food, flea prevention, and heartworm prevention (1st visits are the bomb!)A normal puppy visit at our clinic usually isn't costly. Sometimes breeders will vaccinate and deworm the dogs b4 you pick them up. If that is the case, then we don't usually repeat those until the appropriate time frame has passed. However, in a lot of areas, heartworm prevention is a necessity, and if you don't know what it is or how they get heartworms, then that is what this visit is for too. They also should talk to you about puppy training, potty training, etc...Good LuckEnjoy your new dogPS - parvo will not be living on the floor at your vet. They should be mapping the floor and killing off germs and potential diseases on a daily basis (most clinics mop 2x a day).

• She should be going to the vet by now anyways to continue (or start) her puppy vaccines. Fecal testing is typically done now anyways to check for any intestinal parasite ova. If there are no ova present, then deworming isnt necessary. Boostering immunity is, however. Starting her on heartworm prevention will also help with certain intestinal parasites (rounds & hooks with heartgard; rounds, whips, & hooks with interceptor & sentinel) as well as heartworm disease.