8 year old german shepherd suddenly using bathroom indoors?

I have an 8 year old german shepherd that is housebroken and never uses the bathroom indoors. For the past 2 months he has been peeing on walls and furniture without cause. He isn't left at home alone all day and gets let outside plenty. Has anyone else…

I have an 8 year old german shepherd that is housebroken and never uses the bathroom indoors. For the past 2 months he has been peeing on walls and furniture without cause. He isn't left at home alone all day and gets let outside plenty. Has anyone else…...
    General Dog Discussions : 8 year old german shepherd suddenly using bathroom indoors?...

• 8 year old german shepherd suddenly using bathroom indoors?

8 year old german shepherd suddenly using bathroom indoors? General Dog Discussions
      I have an 8 year old german shepherd that is housebroken and never uses the bathroom indoors. For the past 2 months he has been peeing on walls and furniture without cause. He isn't left at home alone all day and gets let outside plenty. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem or knows what might be causing it?He is showing no signs of being ill but marking furniture with small amounts of urine.

8 year old german shepherd suddenly using bathroom indoors? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes. He is SICK. This could mean a UTI, kidney problems, thyroid issues and/or diabetes along with a bunch of other things.He needs to see your vet NOW.ADD: Yes he is showing signs of illness. Any behavior which shows up in an animal that is different means there is a physical and/or mental problem. See the vet, please.

• Have you had another dog in the house,he could be marking his territory.Whenever we had visitors who brought there dog they do this when they feel threatened,my GSD used to mark because of this or if not ask your vet in case there's a problem with his health even if it's not showing.Hope it helps.Good Luck.

• If he was just leaking onto the floor - especially if while he was asleep - then I would say that he had developed incontinence. It is the commonest unwanted side-effect from neutering before a pup is at least a yearling.If he was piddling all over the place, I would have said that he has a urinary tract infection.But him deliberately piddling on corners & walls tells me that he is showing dominance and marking "his" territory. It is VERY common when there is more than one dog (male) on a property, and very common when the pooch is under-trained (training involves MUCH more than just house-training!).Collect a sample of his urine and take it & him to the vet, just in case it's an infection, but I expect him to be given an all-clear.You have to convince him that the house is YOUR territory, not HIS. That starts with him spending much time in a roofed security run, being allowed inside the house ONLY when someone can watch him constantly. Whoever's watching him should have a tennis ball or balled-sock. As soon as he indicates that he's thinking of marking (sniff is normal, but you should know your dog's signals), that ball/sock is thrown to hit him, and just as it hits you STAMP on the floor and roar "NO!!" in your deepest attempt at a Russian bass voice, then haul him out to the designated toilet spot. So you'll need him to be wearing a collar with a short handle clipped to it whenever he is inside.The ball-throw and its noisy accompaniment are to startle him and convince him that you have an incredibly long invisible arm that can reach him ANYwhere!Once you have him behaving himself again, you might consider teaching him to ring a bell placed by the back door, or do something similar to let humans know that he wants to go toilet.• To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with GSDs. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967