Is there a way to stop excitement piddling in my dachshund?

The vet said she'd grow out of it, but that was when she was a pup, and she's almost 4 now and still doing it. She gets excited whenever family comes over and I have to follow her around, mopping up. Please tell me there's a solution to this.

The vet said she'd grow out of it, but that was when she was a pup, and she's almost 4 now and still doing it. She gets excited whenever family comes over and I have to follow her around, mopping up. Please tell me there's a solution to this....
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a way to stop excitement piddling in my dachshund?...

• Is there a way to stop excitement piddling in my dachshund?

Is there a way to stop excitement piddling in my dachshund? General Dog Discussions
      The vet said she'd grow out of it, but that was when she was a pup, and she's almost 4 now and still doing it. She gets excited whenever family comes over and I have to follow her around, mopping up. Please tell me there's a solution to this.

Is there a way to stop excitement piddling in my dachshund? General Dog Discussions
    • It's not an uncommon reaction in dogs. Our puppy had the same problem and I have two recommendations. The first is to try and anticipate when you are expecting company and take your dog out to the bathroom just before they arrive. No fuel in the tank = no problem. If it's a surprise visit you could let your dog greet the company outside. When I get home from work at the end of the day my dog is always very excited, so when I open the door I let him come out instead of me going in. The second thing you can do is coach all of your company to ignore the dog when he displays the negative behavior. This sort of associative learning is how dogs pick up new tricks. With practice, he will learn that every time he pees the company will immediately stop petting him and he will learn to hold it.

• I have the same problem with my Jack Russel's. Your vet is right, its something they usually grow out of but its not always the case. I tell everyone who walks through my door to simply ignore them, this way you avoid exciting them any more than they already are. Just try and remain as calm around her as possible, if she piddles don't even acknowledge it just calmly clean it up. I found telling them off would quickly turn their excitement into anxiety and they just piddle all the more. In time mine did stop but they still have the odd trickle if someone looks at them . Apparently its quite a common thing in small dogs

• That's because your making a big deal out of it. You need to completely ignore it. When you clean it up, do not say anything. When you have company, do not let anyone acknowledge her until she's calmed down. So even when you walk in the door of your home, do not say "hi" to her, ignore her until she's calm, make sure visitors do the same. When she piddles, quietly clean it up, don't say anything, don't look at her. Believe it or not, submissive urination is a sign of respect.