My dog has become very skittish to lound noises and tremles randomly?

I have a 3yrd mini schnauzer; she is very social, calm and playful. She goes everywhere with me and listens very well. I have never had a problem with her. She is always around people, noises and other dogs. For some reason over the last month she has…

I have a 3yrd mini schnauzer; she is very social, calm and playful. She goes everywhere with me and listens very well. I have never had a problem with her. She is always around people, noises and other dogs. For some reason over the last month she has…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog has become very skittish to lound noises and tremles randomly?...

• My dog has become very skittish to lound noises and tremles randomly?

My dog has become very skittish to lound noises and tremles randomly? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 3yrd mini schnauzer; she is very social, calm and playful. She goes everywhere with me and listens very well. I have never had a problem with her. She is always around people, noises and other dogs. For some reason over the last month she has become extremely skittish and fearful to loud noises of any kind. Whether I shut a door loud, drop my keys, or clap my hands loud she starts to shake and trembles randomly. What may have caused this and what can I do to fix it?

My dog has become very skittish to lound noises and tremles randomly? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't know what the cause could be, but I have a few ideas. The most obvious one would be that recently she had an incident which resulted in her becoming fearful of loud noises, for example, she could have hurt herself and during there was a loud noise (like skidding into a wall and there was a loud crash) and then she would associate the noise with the pain and incident and then whenever she hears a loud noise instinct kicks in and she becomes fearful. It could also be a medical condition or there might be something wrong with her ears, go to your vet and make sure this isn't the case, because if it is I won't be able to help you.If you find it isn't a medical problem you need to get your dog over his fears and anxiety by slowly exposing him to his fear and teaching him to be calm. You need to slowly build your dogs self esteem by slowly exposing him to situations where he might be fearful or anxious, and let him get used to it, and rewarding him when he is calm and shows improvement. What you need to do is create a space where your dog will feel safe, somewhere it is quiet and there are little to no loud noises. Try and make your home a more quite environment, so he isn't faced with his fears too often. Then take him to a place where it is slightly noisier and where he will show some signs of fear and anxiety Make sure you are calm and in control, if you or anyone else in the room feels anxious than he will feed on that anxiety and it will cause him to be even more anxious. Instead show him there is nothing to be afraid of, be confident, calm and in control. Have him on a leash and walk him around the room, making sure your dog is following your lead (training him to heel on a leash is a good idea because it will help him get over his fears because you have more control of the dog). Don't speak or make contact with the dog, just walk him around the room. Walking is very important, it helps drain energy from your dog and keep him calm. If possible, before you expose your dog to a loud noise first exercise him so that he is calm and drained of energy. This will be a long process, it will require a lot of patience and persistence. Expose him to his fears often and step by step as he improves bring it up a notch by exposing him to more and more to worse and worse situations, and letting him grow accustomed to them. If he begins to relax when he normally would be fearful or anxious, reward him with praise and a treat and begin to turn his fears into something positive with treats, praise and an active game. If he doesn't want to get involved in a game then he needs more time to grow used to the situation. Chew toys are also a god idea because they help keep him calm. You can also get medicine from your vet that helps calm your dog, or scents like lavender and pine help your dog to relax.Another thing that will help your dog get over his fear is to distract your dog with a positive activity. Get him to do a command or put him on the treadmill (if you know how to walk your dog on a treadmill of course) to keep his mind off the loud noises. I hope this helps and good luck! Remember very few dogs can change in a day, so be persistent, patient and don't give up! Make sure you are also calm, confident and in control rather than anxious or frustrated, if you display anxiety yourself it will worsen our dogs anxiety. http://www.cesarsway.com/askcesar/anxiety/Persistent-Anxiety-and-Fear