10 year old male old english sheep dog has seizure during bathing?

Parents 10 year Old English Sheep dog will have a seizure if given a bath. It started recently during a stay at a boarding facility. Right at the end, the employees were giving him a bath prior to returning him to my parents. They reported he had a…

Parents 10 year Old English Sheep dog will have a seizure if given a bath. It started recently during a stay at a boarding facility. Right at the end, the employees were giving him a bath prior to returning him to my parents. They reported he had a…...
    General Dog Discussions : 10 year old male old english sheep dog has seizure during bathing?...

• 10 year old male old english sheep dog has seizure during bathing?

10 year old male old english sheep dog has seizure during bathing? General Dog Discussions
      Parents 10 year Old English Sheep dog will have a seizure if given a bath. It started recently during a stay at a boarding facility. Right at the end, the employees were giving him a bath prior to returning him to my parents. They reported he had a seizure during the bath. It happened a second time with my parents in attendance. Has any body experienced this, and thoughts on how to prevent this?

10 year old male old english sheep dog has seizure during bathing? General Dog Discussions
    • Seizures CAN'T be "prevented"!Some may lessened by meds.MUST be vetted to determine CAUSE!Brain tumor,epilepsy....other?Only after cause is found can *any* treatment be tried.Obviously,cancer is "treated" by euthanasia.

• He needs to have a vet workup...bloodwork and stuff. epilepsy usually comes on when dogs are young adults...when they are 10 and having seizures, it is a much bigger problem. Get him to the vet asap. Stress induced seizures are possible, but that is generally an epileptic thing. If there is absoulutly no history of seizures...then there is something going on if suddenly at 10, he is displaying them. You have to find out the cause before you can expect to prevent them. Good luck. I am concerned..did the boarding facility not notify you when he 1st began the seizures at the beginning of his stay? Were you not given the option to seek medical care for him if/when they notified you?

• Cancer is not treated by euthanasia, and yes "Defiant", I know it was a pun. Some cancers are very treatable, some are even curable, but that wasn't even her question.It's odd that the dog would only have seizures during bath time. That leads me to believe it isn't really TRUE epilepsy, which has no triggers and occurs at any time, but it DOES sound like a seizure disorder..... just one that is triggered by stress or anxiety. Epilepsy is kind of a "catch-all" diagnosis for any seizures of unknown origin so I would imagine that's the diagnosis your dog will get. Take the dog to the vet and, in the meantime, avoid activities that cause stress or anxiety. If it's a true grand mal seizure (involving full-body twitching and temporary changes in coherence) then the dog will not be breathing until the seizure is over. Obviously, if the seizure lasts too long, the dog can die.

• it not any of those reasons if it started at a boarding facility its stress the person who bathed him stressed him and if a dog gets too stressed it will have a fit.im a dog groomer so i know all about this you have to reassure the dog tat your not going to harm him you have to do it every time as its the first time.small steps that's what it takes

• I experienced this same thing when I would groom a 9 year old poodle. She would seizure in the tub. What I figured out is if I didn't wash her head she wouldn't have a seizure. She did have ear issues but they aren't that bad. Her teeth excellent so we are a little confused. By the way she has been coming for grooms since she was a puppy. The seizures started when she was 9 she is now 13. So we just don't wet her head. No seizures at home either just her bath.