How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard?

How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard and stop chewing up my yard decor?

How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard and stop chewing up my yard decor?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard?...

• How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard?

How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard? Other Pet Discussions
      How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard and stop chewing up my yard decor?

How can you stop a Lab pup from digging in the yard? Other Pet Discussions
    • First, don't let your dog take things into the yard without you there with him. Some labs will actually dig and bury their toys to keep others from getting them, a black lab I knew did this, especially with his rawhide bones. Did your dog grow up with a cat? Some dogs will mimic cats, they will lick their fur, rub their paws over their faces, and even dig at the lawn after they go to the washroom. If he digs after he uses the washroom, start taking him out on a leash for a while, if he starts to dig, tell him NO firmly, if he continues, simply drag him from the site while saying NO again. If he is digging because he is bored, and not burying anything, he may need more toys out there to play with to keep him occupied. If he is digging to get under items, you may have to keep him on a leash until he gets a bit older if telling him no and using corrective behaviour techniques do not work. The black lab I knew, had to be told to "Come" and "Lay Down" when he was digging, about the tenth time, he caught on. With the yard deco, you may have to give him a tap on the snout, or tell him NO, and then give him something he is allowed to chew on. Puppies need to exercise their teeth and gums, and so they have to be redirected to something good they are allowed to chew on. Just telling them no and walking away won't help them at all. Try to make it something as durable as the items they are trying to chew on, a different consistancy may make them lose their attention on the new item pretty quickly. Play games with the toy they are allowed to have too, {fetch, tug of war and so on} it will get them coming back to it more often.