What makes the best substrate for an adult ball python?

I have read that the best and easiest things to use are turf-like materials but I dont like the look of them. Shredded cypress or fir bark were other suggetions but I dont know where to find them. Any help would be great.

I have read that the best and easiest things to use are turf-like materials but I dont like the look of them. Shredded cypress or fir bark were other suggetions but I dont know where to find them. Any help would be great....
    Other Pet Discussions : What makes the best substrate for an adult ball python?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What makes the best substrate for an adult ball python?

What makes the best substrate for an adult ball python? Other Pet Discussions
      I have read that the best and easiest things to use are turf-like materials but I dont like the look of them. Shredded cypress or fir bark were other suggetions but I dont know where to find them. Any help would be great.

What makes the best substrate for an adult ball python? Other Pet Discussions
    • Newspaper is cheapest. Peat moss is ideal, if a bit more expensive than other substrates. Wood shavings are fine, so long as they are clean and free of mites. Just make sure you DO NOT use aspen as it can poison the snake. Other woods are fine.

• Actually aspen is not poisonous to the snakes and many people consider it to be the best wood shaving substrate out there. Cedar however is toxic to all reptiles. The oils that make the cedar smell so good are deadly. Some people say that pine shavings may have that same effects but that's debated I use aspen and have never had any problems. Most pet stores that sell reptiles will have a wide selection or substrates. Or you can go to http://www.kingsnake.com and click on the breeders dealers link. They have tons of links to places that only sell reptiles and reptile supplies. Also this page gives some great information for keeping ball pythons including what is safe substrates and what isn't. http://www.kingsnake.com/ballpythonguide/index.html And check out the ball python forum on kingsnake.com too. Those people do nothing but care for snakes and can answer anything you need to know. Hope this helps.