How do I clean out a 3 gallon betta fish tank?

Am I suppose to do gradual water changes,, or just dump it all out once a week and fill it with clean water?

Am I suppose to do gradual water changes,, or just dump it all out once a week and fill it with clean water?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I clean out a 3 gallon betta fish tank?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I clean out a 3 gallon betta fish tank?

How do I clean out a 3 gallon betta fish tank? Other Pet Discussions
      Am I suppose to do gradual water changes,, or just dump it all out once a week and fill it with clean water?

How do I clean out a 3 gallon betta fish tank? Other Pet Discussions
    • Many instructions claim that it's better for the fish to do a partial water change (1/3 or so of the water in the tank at a time), but I've had the best experience doing complete water changes. The complete water change 'cheers up' the fish immidiately; you can see a change in their behaviour. Also, if you fish appears sick definetley do the complete water change. Just make sure that the water you replace is close to the same temperature, and always use the dechlorifying drops in the water before putting your fish back in.

• You change SOME of the water not all of it because yoour fish is used to a certain temperature of water and mixing another temperature will even it out to just about what he/she is used to. Also if you change it all at one the fish will go into shock and could possibly die

• Unless you have a filtering system, you need to do a complete water change every week. It's tedious, but keep in mind that a betta needs at least 5 gallons of water (although 3 is better than most!). The amount of ammonia the fish produces in that time is dangerously high. I love fish so much! Thanks for being caring enough to ask

• OK, usually partial water changes are best for a tank, but if all you have in there is bettas then I would recommend you do a complete water exchange. First you want to have another smaller cup to put your fish in, make sure it’s clean but NEVER use soap! Soap is toxic to fish! Take the cup and scoop out water from the tank. You need this to put the fish in while you clean the tank out; using the old water is less stressful for your fish because he/she is already using to that temperature. Once you have that done, net your fish over to the smaller container and proceed to clean your tank. Dump all the water (by the way, fish water is one of the best natural fertilizers for plants, because of its high nitrogen counts) and wipe off any residue on the insides of the tank...remember NO SOAP! Now just add clean water back into the tank (if your using tap water then you need a conditioner like TertaAqua's Aquasafe or Stresscoat, either brand is good) try you best to keep the water's temperature the same as before, now you can add your fish (it helps to add a little bit of the old water back into the tank, the organic matter helps to keep their stress levels down)...Side note, if algae is your issue, and your tank has a filter on it (under gravel works well for a 3 gallon) then just add an algae eater. I recommend an ottocinclis, they are one of the best algae eaters out there, they don't mess with anyone, and the never grow larger than about an inch. Yes, bettas CAN be kept with other fish; it’s just that males cannot be kept with other bettas female or male. Females however work well in communities; I myself keep all of my females in a 40 gallon. Contact your local specialty shop for fish compatibilities with bettas. Hopefully this helps! ^_~p.s. Did you know that bettas are one of only fish in the world that can acually breath air?