How do you stop your horse from swaping lead on the flat and when jumping?

I have a show on Sunday and my pony keeps doing flying lead changes back and forth with out me asking him to on the flat and when jumping! HELP!!!

I have a show on Sunday and my pony keeps doing flying lead changes back and forth with out me asking him to on the flat and when jumping! HELP!!!...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you stop your horse from swaping lead on the flat and when jumping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you stop your horse from swaping lead on the flat and when jumping?

How do you stop your horse from swaping lead on the flat and when jumping? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a show on Sunday and my pony keeps doing flying lead changes back and forth with out me asking him to on the flat and when jumping! HELP!!!

How do you stop your horse from swaping lead on the flat and when jumping? Other Pet Discussions
    • Check him for soundness. A horse that is sore will change leads more often. And a "him" - as many here apparently have never done it or dont know it needs done - when was the last time his sheath was cleaned? Rule out physical things before looking at disobedience. He's trying to tell you something...listen.

• Hello,I was on the USET junior team and have jumped horses most of my life. First of all, does your poney know how to do lead changes by you shifting your weight on a straight line? If he doesn't, practice it. Then, when he knows that when you shift your weight and que him with your opposite let, ie., left heal for right lead, try taking him in small circles over a fence about 2 feet high. He has to stay on the same lead or fall over as that is what leads are for. Then start doing figure 8's with him, and if you have to pull his head say to the right to keep him on his left lead. It has to be exadurated in the beginning, but he cannot change if you are really pulling his head to the right, he has to stay on the left lead, and make sure that he knows how to go into a canter from a walk. I find it very irksome in some of my students who have not taught their ponies or horses how to go from a walk to a canter on the correct lead.He also might benefit from having some schooling poles leading up to the fence when you have finally gotten him to stay on the correct lead, as this will keep him from changing or he will hit the schooling poles on the ground and remember a ponies stride is much smaller than a horses so you might want to measure what his canter stride is, then place the schooling poles down in front of the jump, and he will be concentrating so hard on not hitting the schooling poles, he will stay on the correct lead. Lead changes should be as natural as anything you do, and horses do prefer one lead over the other, so practice the one your pony doesn't like more. It should be natural for him to go straight from a walk to a canter on the correct lead, but going in circles really does make him stick to the correct lead. When you have practiced this over and over and over and over, your que to your pony for a left lead should be a slight pull on the right rein with your little finger, then que him at the correct time for him to naturally pick up the left lead, then do the opposite for the right lead, and the person judging should see no movement, and make sure you shift your weight before you give the leg que. This is supposed to be as smoothe as silk, right pinkey pulling on the right side of his mouth, you shift your weight to the right, give leg que, and off you go.Hope it helps, but this is a long procedure, particularly if you have a pony who is excitable, but if you practice, he will get the hang of it, as it is easier than falling down.And start with the circles and make them as small as you can so he must stay on the lead you want him on. Stop him immediately if he does it wrong, and carry some cut up carrots when he does it correct, it just might help :)Sincerely,NS

• Have a vet rule out any unsoundness first. You mention that your pony changes back and forth. Which makes me wonder if you are unconsiously shifting your weight, moving your hands or fingers, have unequal leg pressure or bumping your pony with your heels. These things can be ever so slight and you may not realize it but your pony will. Have an experienced person watch you ride. Especially from the front and back. See if they can catch you doing any of these things. If the problem is your pony they may be able to spot this also. It can be hard to spot problems from the saddle. I used to have someone video tape me while riding. This way I could see what I needed to do to correct myself or my horse. Most of the time it was me. LOL. If it is a training issue, Nanette145 has outlined a good training method for you. This is what I would have done so I'm not going to repeat it. Good luck and have patience. Training shouldn't be rushed as it only confuses your horse which can turn into a nasty situation and then you will have lots more issues on your hands. Don't forget lots of praise when your pony gets it right.

• It's likely some sort of balance problem-either he is trying to balance himself outor he's trying to balance you.Have your teacher check your balance and be sure your leg isn't moving inadvertantly.Then you might want to check the pony's back and see if he has any saddle fit problems ar other soreness...