How do I train my puppy to walk on a leash?

I got him 4 days ago and let him walk next to me without a leash. Now I put him on a leash, but he tugs and struggles. If I keep the leash hold firm and don't move, he starts choking and coughing. I have to follow him wherever he wants to go. Any…

I got him 4 days ago and let him walk next to me without a leash. Now I put him on a leash, but he tugs and struggles. If I keep the leash hold firm and don't move, he starts choking and coughing. I have to follow him wherever he wants to go. Any…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I train my puppy to walk on a leash?...

• How do I train my puppy to walk on a leash?

How do I train my puppy to walk on a leash? Other Pet Discussions
      I got him 4 days ago and let him walk next to me without a leash. Now I put him on a leash, but he tugs and struggles. If I keep the leash hold firm and don't move, he starts choking and coughing. I have to follow him wherever he wants to go. Any suggestions?What if he just keeps sniffing around in one place? Should I let him sniff or keep walking?

How do I train my puppy to walk on a leash? Other Pet Discussions
    • you have to attach the leash to him while he is in the house and let him drag it around without u, than after a couple days walk with him in the house with the leashthen after another few days try out side repeat again if it doesnt work also u can try to get bitter apple spray ( in the pet store) and spray it where he bites the leash its harmless and will teach him not to bite on it. im getting a puppy to and learning ALOT from "puppies for dummies" dont worry im not calling u a dummy!

• You have to do this everyday and I would suggest a harness (goes around chest and upper body area) type with a leash so he does not choke when he tugs. It is a matter of getting used to it. My puppy would not do it either and eventually did and now she is 2 years old and when she sees the leash, she runs to the door and waits for me to clip it on her harness. As she/he learns to be on a leash, then you can leave her off the leash as long as she knows that at times she will be with it.

• I always start my puppies with a harness, rather than a collar. Use the extendable leash, so you can give a bit of slack as he nears the end of it.Make leash walking fun, with LOTS of praise.Let him wear the harness and leash in the house, when you can supervise.Take him in a car, a block from home, and he will walk better when you turn toward home,

• you have to keep it on him alot he'll get use to it. and if he still pulls you can get a halti once they get use to that they don't pull and they don't choke themself. just have the leash on while his in the house but alonely while your with him and he'll get use to it. Good luck.

• if your puppy is young then he won't like the leash that much. just put him next to you while he's on the leash. stand there with slack in the leash. also have a rolled up news paper. when he bites at it swat him. make sure that he doesn't know where the punishment came from. so hide the paper or magazine behind you quickly. then correct him. he should stop after a few times. the purpose is to make alot of noise with the paper not to hurt him if you make alot of noise he will think he's hurt without being hurt. if this doesn't work, just keep slack in the leash when he pulls or tugs pop the leash. not to hurt him but get his attention

• I had the same problem when I first got my puppy. They want to be in charge. When he didn't want to walk he would just park his butt and not move. Luckily I have another older dog and he finally started to follow her and it only took about a week for him to catch on. Sometimes if you hold a treat in front of them and make them come to you to get it while on the leash that will help. I practiced doing this and just walking a little bit with him in the house and he was better that way. Now he loves to go for walks but they have to learn who the boss is. You...not them. Also never let them go out the door ahead of you. Always go out first and them behind you. This is just one little way of affirming that you are in charge.Good Luck.

• Don't ever pull your dog on the the leash, the leash should be used for leading and discipline only. Short little pops on the leash is the motion you are looking for, just to jolk him out of his distraction. With the dog on your left side, Hold the end of the leash in your right hand and grab the part near to the dog with your left hand. Your left hand should be holding the leash about 1-2 feet directly above the dogs head, with the collar high up on the dogs neck. (It's very hard to bite the leash in this position and the higher up on the neck you are the less likely you are to hurt the dog.) No slack, but hold it very gently so the dog feels that it is somewhat loose. The dog should stay to your left, close to you, and not walk so far ahead that his butt is in front of you. Stand straight up with confidence, don't slouch. If the dog pulls or wanders say "no" and pull the leash upwards quickly then release it quickly. Don't get the dog into a pulling contest, and don't pull in a direction other than up. Just pull directly upwards and release quickly while you say "NO". Never pull hard enough to lift the dogs front legs off the ground! It's ok if he pulls a little during the walk, just correct the biggest mistakes with a quick jerk upward then release. Eventually after several days the dog will stop pulling.

• PLEASE read this:The Monks of New Skete is a book I read before I adopted my dog b/c I wanted him to be a companion, not a pet. Now they have DVD's and I would strongly recommend their method. You should NEVER "pop" a leash on a dog, let alone a puppy. You should not use a choke collar. You should not use an extender kind of leash when training. You should never hit your animal, especially not from above and especially not with an object. These are all good ways to make your dog fear and dislike you. You want your animal to respect and love you, so you must reciprocate.ALL YOU NEED to train your dog to walk on a leash is TIME, PATIENCE, and a 6 foot nylon lead (+nylon collar). It is this easy: EVERY time the dog pulls, stop walking. This might mean walking one or two steps and stopping. The dog will learn that the only way he is going to walk is to walk with you and that if he pulls, the walk will stop. This is foolproof, but it takes a lot of patience, which you should have if you've gotten a puppy. There are many more details about walking, correction, etc. from the Monks of New Skete. They tell you ways that WORK to make your dog understand who is in charge and how to behave in ways that DOGS understand.

• I highly recommend a Gentle Leader. It is a type of harness that fits on the dog's head and uses pressure to control and keep the dog from pulling. This is one of the more effective dog control restraints especially if you have a large breed dog. There is no choking of the dog since it fits around the dog's muzzle and behind the ears. Pressure as the dog pulls causes him to stop trying to take you for a walk rather than you take him for a walk.

• Dogs should be on a halter, the collar should just be to hold the I.D. tags. Let him drag the leash around in the house (on his halter) to get him used to it. Then start holding the leash gently, in the house. When he is used to this, go into your backyard and let him drag the leash, and also practice holding it. Then start giving him tiny bits of treats when you are holding the leash and he is next to you. When this is solid, then transfer to other places. Don't yank or jerk him - he will come to hate the leash, just treat him when he is walking nicely next to you. If he pulls, just stand still and ignore him.

• Place the leash right behind the ears on his head so he cannot tug. Each time he pulls and tugs, you tug back with correction. You have to make the dog submit to you otherwise the dog will run over you later on as it gets older.Watch Dog Whisperer on National Geographics. Cesar gives great dog training advice.