What is the difference between different sands in a salt water tank?

I have a 45 gallon salt water tank that I have inherited, which currently has live sand that appears to be thick and granulated, as one would find at the beach. I am considering switching to that beautiful powdery fine (sugar fine) sand that you often…

I have a 45 gallon salt water tank that I have inherited, which currently has live sand that appears to be thick and granulated, as one would find at the beach. I am considering switching to that beautiful powdery fine (sugar fine) sand that you often…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the difference between different sands in a salt water tank?...

• What is the difference between different sands in a salt water tank?

What is the difference between different sands in a salt water tank? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 45 gallon salt water tank that I have inherited, which currently has live sand that appears to be thick and granulated, as one would find at the beach. I am considering switching to that beautiful powdery fine (sugar fine) sand that you often see in reef tanks. Why would one choose one type of sand over the other, and what are the pros and cons of both?

What is the difference between different sands in a salt water tank? Other Pet Discussions
    • The 'granulated' sand you speak of is usually some form of crushed coral which is used to buffer the water and keep the water hard. You can use regular sand if you choose, but may have to add sodium bicarbonate every now and then to keep the water ph level up.I used regular silica sand on my first reef tank and the sand eventually became live sand once all the organisms from the live rock inhabited it.

• i would'nt change a thing.there's no real advantage,other than fine sand is better for burrowing inverts,and fish.also fine sand dissolves over time helping to buffer the water.its used in calcium reactors.add some caribsea oolite to the tank.get sand sifting animals!