How to get rid of Struvite crystals and prevent them in cats?

Our cat has struvite crystals and she's on a prescription diet of Hill's S/D. I read that feeding an all canned food diet would help the cat prevent crystals later on. Can I just take the cat off the prescription diet and feed it only canned food?

Our cat has struvite crystals and she's on a prescription diet of Hill's S/D. I read that feeding an all canned food diet would help the cat prevent crystals later on. Can I just take the cat off the prescription diet and feed it only canned food?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to get rid of Struvite crystals and prevent them in cats?...

• How to get rid of Struvite crystals and prevent them in cats?

How to get rid of Struvite crystals and prevent them in cats? Other Pet Discussions
      Our cat has struvite crystals and she's on a prescription diet of Hill's S/D. I read that feeding an all canned food diet would help the cat prevent crystals later on. Can I just take the cat off the prescription diet and feed it only canned food?

How to get rid of Struvite crystals and prevent them in cats? Other Pet Discussions
    • Do a slow transition if your cat isn't used to having canned food. Also you can add some extra water to the food to make sure things stay flushed out. Some vets only believe in prescription food for crystals. Others are open to other options. You may find some resistance with your vet. I've found in general that holistic vets are better in tune with nutrition and the various ways foods can improve or impede a cat's health. So hopefully your vet is open to your viewpoints but if you get a lot of grief, don't necessarily take it to mean that you're wrong. Good luck!

• One of my cats when through this last year. The vet put our cat on that diet strictly for two weeks of only wet food. She said after that we could use the dry food version of Hills or Purina one Urinary tract health. She said she doesnt recommend wet food solely because of teeth health. We switched our cat to the purina one and he has not had a problem since. In his last checkup she said he was doing great! Also a great way to prevent them in the future is to be sure he is drinking plenty of freshwater. We got him a plug in water fountain thing from the petstore which encourages cats to drink more water.