How can I get my puppy to get use to her leash and collar?

I am trying to start training my puppy to walk with a leash outside, and to go potty outside. Everytime i put the leash on my puppy she gets very defensive and starts biting it and barking and growling, she won't walk when the leash is on her either what…

I am trying to start training my puppy to walk with a leash outside, and to go potty outside. Everytime i put the leash on my puppy she gets very defensive and starts biting it and barking and growling, she won't walk when the leash is on her either what…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my puppy to get use to her leash and collar?...

• How can I get my puppy to get use to her leash and collar?

How can I get my puppy to get use to her leash and collar? Other Pet Discussions
      I am trying to start training my puppy to walk with a leash outside, and to go potty outside. Everytime i put the leash on my puppy she gets very defensive and starts biting it and barking and growling, she won't walk when the leash is on her either what can I do to get her use to her leash?

How can I get my puppy to get use to her leash and collar? Other Pet Discussions
    • I put the collar on my puppy the instant we brought her home and put her on a leash within a couple of days. She didnt like it either but after a few days she got used to it. Some keep putting it in your dog. After awhile, the dog will be used to it.

• It can be very tough, especially if it is an indoor dog. You just have to stick with it. My dogs took a week or so of everyday walks before they got used to it. Now they wont leave me alone with that damn leash.

• keep the leash on her when she is inside also. Let her drag it around. Might wanna get a couple extra just in case she chews one or two up..;) She will get used to the extra weight around her neck. Make sure every time you take her outside your keep her on her leash. Let her lead you until she gets used to it, then you can start being in control when her defensiveness disburses.

• you have to put a positive spin on it, once you put it on give her a treat and praise and when she starts biting it, no, once she quits more praise. don't correct her on walking on it, that's the next step thou

• Your dog just needs to be walk on a daily bass and after awhile she will get use to itwhen she goes potty inside rub its nose in it and tell them he is a bad dog and put it outside after awhile she will stop

• Bend over and walk the dog yourself to get her use to it. It will take a few tries. First leave the collar on the dog, then put on the leash, and let the dog drag it behind him, and then little at a time, grab ahold of the leash, and you'll be walking the dog.

• I would say you should show it to her and hold it to show her it is OK. Then I would leave it by her for a day so she sees that it is cool and will not hurt her. After that I would just try to put it on her. My one dog doesn't like anything on him. He finally got used to it after a while. It just may take some time.

• First off patience. It can take a while. Ignore the bad behavior and if possible, distract the pup when it starts. We learned dog handling in Germany with Boxers. Second, when the puppy does right lots of praise, and I do mean lots. If the bad behavior continues, use a sudden sharp word in a firm tone. We have always used "Phooey" and as silly as it sounds, it works well. By the way, bribery works.

• Learning to walk on a collar and leash is the basis of all further training for every puppy. Until the puppy has learned to accept the collar and leash, it will be impossible to perform any additional training. The first step toward getting the puppy to accept the collar and leash is to find a collar that fits the dog properly. It is important that the collar be neither too light or too heavy, neither too thin nor too thick. A collar that is too light for the dog can be easily broken, while a collar that is too heavy may be uncomfortable for the puppy to wear. It is also important that the width of the color be appropriate for the size of the dog. Determining the proper length of the collar is relatively easy. Simply wrap a tape measure or a string lightly around the dog's neck to get an accurate measurement. It is important that the tape measure not be tight, just slightly snug. Most collars are sized in two inch increments, so you may have to round up to get a properly sized collar. For instance, if the dog has a 13" neck, you would buy a 14" collar, and so on . After you have purchased the perfect collar, the next step is to put it on the dog and allow him to wear it around the house. Do not be dismayed if the dog whines, paws at the collar or otherwise tries to remove it. This is normal, and the dog should not be punished for it. It is best to simply ignore the dog and allow him to work out his own issues with the collar. The dog should be allowed to wear the collar 24 hours a day for a number of days to get used to the feel of the collar on his neck. After the dog is accepting the collar well, it is time to start introducing the leash. A lightweight leash works best for this process. Simply attach the leash to the dog's collar and allow him to walk around the house with it. The dog should of course be supervised during this process in order to make sure he does not get the leash caught on anything. Getting the leash caught or snagged could frighten the dog and create a leash phobia that will be hard to overcome. In the beginning, the leash should only be attached for a few minutes at a time. It is important to attach the leash at happy times, such as playtime, meal time, etc. It is important for the dog to associate the leash with happy things. When the leash is not attached to the dog, it is a good idea to keep it near the dog's food and water bowls. The dog should be encouraged to investigate the leash, and to discover that it is not something to fear. After the dog is used to walking around with the leash attached, take the end of the leash in your hand and just hold it. Allow the dog to walk around. If the dog bumps into the end of the leash, just allow the dog to react and move as he desires. The goal of this exercise is to simply allow the dog to get used to the feel of the collar and the leash. It is important to allow the puppy plenty of time to get used to wearing the collar and leash before ever attempting to lead the puppy. It is best to perform this exercise in the home or other environment where the puppy feels safe and secure. After the puppy is comfortable and content walking on the leash in the home, it can slowly be taken outside. It is best to make these outside trips very short at the beginning, and to lengthen them slowly over time. Some puppies take to the collar and leash immediately, while others may require some additional time.