What to look for when buying a cockatiel?

I'm thinking about buying a cockatiel and I would like to choose a healthy, and lovable bird. Can you help me?

I'm thinking about buying a cockatiel and I would like to choose a healthy, and lovable bird. Can you help me?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What to look for when buying a cockatiel?...

• What to look for when buying a cockatiel?

What to look for when buying a cockatiel? Other Pet Discussions
      I'm thinking about buying a cockatiel and I would like to choose a healthy, and lovable bird. Can you help me?

What to look for when buying a cockatiel? Other Pet Discussions
    • Spend a little more on a hand-fed one, they already know people are great, so you won't have to socialize it.A hand fed baby comes from a hand that fed it, talk to that person about temperment, health, and all you ever wanted to know about owning a cockatiel.Consider adopting one, sometimes the SPCA or animal control have ones people have had to give away. They are tame and already great pets, and you get all the accessories for one low price.

• you want to look for clear eyes and nostrils ask if they were hand raised or fed by the momma bird also youll want to look at the tail region of the bird to make sure that is doesnt have alot of stool or poo on his tail youll want to see his poo to see that it has a white cap on it with green underneath also that the green part isnt to runny or watery. when in doubt ask a breeder also youll want to know if there is an avarian vet ( a vet that specializes in birds) in your area.

• I have one their really pretty, but they flap their wings alot and have alot of miss everywhere on ur carpet and all, and then they sqeak all night but they dont like getting out theh age most of the time

• well usually the pet store owner lets u hold the bird so try holding it and if it trys to bite don't go near it. But usually what u want 2 do is get it when it is young that way it will think u r it's mother and it will respect u. Give it lots of attention and care. Buy it vitamins regular foods and calcium and stuff. don't feed it too much. and give it treats every once in a while clean its cage and it should be really healthy. And don't ever hit a bird. the owners attitude will be reflected by the bird, so don't take anything out on the bird. The bird doesn't know better!!!!

• When purchasing a parrot, steer clear of petstores. They are mass-bred, and can sometimes have a host of problems that are not eminant until well down the road. I have found that these birds may live less then five years- seven if you're lucky. They sometimes will try to sell their breeders as pets, and by that time, they are already four years of age, rediculously over priced, and probably exausted. Very few birds sold by pet stores are actually hand fed. PetSmart and Petco say they are, but they are pretty mean for being handfed. They are given little attention in the store, so once they go into your home, it may take MANY weeks/months/years before you can even pet them.When you purchase a parrot from a breeder, you can get to know the breeder and be able to ask questions, know what kind of environment they come from if you look at their aviary in person and can learn hands-on if you need to handfeed if the cockatiel regresses. The nares, or nostrils, should be clear, the eyes bright, the feathers clean and tight around the body, no discharge from the nose, eyes or cloacha (where the bird potties) and they should look alert and bright. The bird, at rest on a perch, should seem almost perfectly still. If there is any tail pumping (the whole body of the bird moves when they breathe, and at the exhale, the bird's tail quickly drops), the bird is in respitory distress or is ill. Do not buy ANY bird from that establishment. Just leave right then.Make sure that the cage the tiel (cockatiel) is in is clean, without nasty things running through the cage, clean food, semi-clean water (beleive me, it is almost impossible to keep birds from turning it into "poop-soup"), and has plenty of natural light. Ask is you can see the aviary where the bird was hatched/parents live. If the breeder says "no", please turn around and walk back out the door. Do not offer any reason why you should not see if the conditions of their aviary is healthy. This means the parents are well cared for, have/had a proper diet during the conception of the eggs, and their babies are genrally healthy. When a breeder has nothing to hide, are honest about the mortality rate of their birds and allow you to spelunk, they are the perfect breeder.As wilth any other pet, go in colorblind. No matter the color of the feathers, it still has the potential to be a brilliant and faithful companion, and allow the bird to choose you. Try to find birds that are not that scared of hands going in their cage. Go in and wait for one to get "curious" and snoop around you, trying to figure you out or play with you. That one is now "your bird".Don't be disappoionted if it takes a while before you find the right bird. Maybe you will go in for a cockatiel, but come out with a Conure :) All bird personalities are different, and it's when you let the bird choose you that you will find true freindship with a feathered companion.

• Make sure that you have found a good reputable breeder. Chain Pet stores love to say that their birds are handraised, but the reality of it is, by the time they reach the petstore they have been reintroduced to other birds, and have already bonded with them.The best place to buy cockatiels is a local breeder who only allows her birds to have one clutch a year, and they allow you to purchase the bird immediatley after it has been weaned, or they let you partake in the handfeeding.If you do not have experience hand-feeding a baby bird, do not take an unweaned bird. Many, many complications can occur, and can result in expensive vet visits. A most important afternote, is that birds are extremely social animals. They need/crave/desire companionship. They can not be left in a cage all by themselves all day and expect to have a good quality of life. If you can not be a birds companion, then it is important you get a second bird, and allow them to bond to each other and therefore may not be as hand tammed as a single bird would be.Also as birds are social creatures they tend to hide any illness as long as possible. Therefore it is also highly important to find an Avian Certified Vet in your area, and make regulary scheduled visits.

• you want to pick a young cockatiel. As birds get older they attach themselves to one person. Make sure they have all their feathers and make sure they have NO ailments like mites or anything of that sort. Good luck with your search.

• I'll try not to keep this too long. There's much to say and so little space :-)1) A bird that is clean looking. The face should be free of mucus, infections and pus. The feathers should be bright and clean, though youngsters will look a bit beat up.2) Personality wise they shouldn't be too fearful or too aggressive. They should be right down the middle. if they're afraid, they should be willing to check you out if you keep your hand in the enclosure for a few minutes. 3) Turds should be well formed. They should be brown or dark green with a clear white part and some urine. Too much urine may mean they've eaten some watery food. Tiny black turds means the bird is either sick and starving or was weaned too early.4) A baby tiel that constantly makes a very annoying static like sound is a hungry baby. If someone tries selling a bird like that as an adult or weaned, I'd worry. Babies that cry like that often need extra feedings or have reverted back to their pre-weaned state. Basically it means you've got to hand feed them again until they get over their dependence. If you have a knowledgeable person who can back you up, I'd go for it. Otherwise I'd move onto another bird.5) Beware anyone who sells you a cockatiel with a dark beak as a baby. It takes years for a tiel to get that dark beak. That bird is more than likely a breeder who's being pawned off to unsuspecting buyers!I wouldn't be too hard on **all** pet stores. Often the smaller ones do purchase from decent breeders. Ask around, visit their birds often. check the state of the shop and talk to the shop keepers. If you don't trust their sources or answers, go someplace else.