My family has decided to get our first bird. What are the best bird companions for first timers?

My family has decided to get our first bird. What would be the best bird companion for first timers? We love birds, but would prefer an avian friend that will bond with us, and not just a finch, canary, or parakeet that looks pretty in a cage.

My family has decided to get our first bird. What are the best bird companions for first timers?

My family has decided to get our first bird. What would be the best bird companion for first timers? We love birds, but would prefer an avian friend that will bond with us, and not just a finch, canary, or parakeet that looks pretty in a cage....
    Other Pet Discussions : My family has decided to get our first bird. What are the best bird companions for first timers?...

• I don't know enough about the Pionus parrots as I've never owned one. They are said to be wonderful companions. They're on the smaller side and they're pretty decent noise-wise if you're in an apartment or can't stand constant screaming. They're shy birds that can learn to talk well. They're solid birds that come in several colorful species, including the blue headed and bronze winged Pionus. They're more expensive but are well worth the price.Next come the conures. For a beginner bird keeper I'd go with the smaller species such as the Painted, fiery shouldered, Green cheek and maroon bellied conures. Even the Dusky conure is a decent place to start. If you like birds with a bit more attitude, Suns, Peach Fronts and Gold Caps are great birds! They're also louder with the exception of the Peach front. Peach fronts do share a conure's love for cuddling but they're not so hot on being touched and coddled. If you want a beginner's bird that loves cuddling and snuggling into your shirt, I'd go with a green cheek. They do have a reputation of being 'nippy' but it can be reduced with training and time. Most Green cheeks outgrow their nippy stage :) .Then there's cockatiels and budgies. Budgies are more playful and energetic than budgies but cockatiels are more hands on. They love their handling and shoulder time. Be warned - if you're eating and they're on your shoulder both species WILL steal food as you're lifting the spoon to your mouth! The good thing about these guys is that they're more affordable compared to the other species mentioned above. Most budgies are left untamed but if you can find a budgie breeder who handfeeds their birds, grab one! They're supposed to be one of the best bird companions out there! Cockatiel hens are very sweet and love to socialize more than cocks. Males do mimic/talk better than females but I've had a female who knew at least eight or nine different words. Handfed is almost always better, depending on how the bird was raised. Try to contact a local parrot breeder for handfed birds. Pet stores usually don't handle their birds as much as they should or they purchase from mass breeders.Most local breeders know what they're doing. To be sure, ask around for references.There's the non parrot species such as canaries, doves, pigeons and quail. Canaries have a gorgeous song and can be finger trained. They're not as social as parrots but they have their unique charm that many people adore! Quail are living garberators. I have three Japanese Quail (Coturnix Japonica) that will shovel almost anything into their beaks, even if they've never seen it before. I get fresh eggs almost every day from my pair. They're fun to watch beat each other up though you have to watch that any males in the cage don't harass the hens too much as he does pluck the poor girls bald in his need to breed. If you get a quail, try to get two females or one male to two females.They require special feed to keep them in laying condition. They're like miniature chickens. They lay lay lay and require more protein and calcium than other bird species. The males have a wicked whip-lash type call that's a hoot to hear. The down side is that the males crow at 3 am and sometimes will NOT stop X( !Pigeons and doves are very social but breeders can be harder to find. They're very different from parrots in that they don't play quite as much and they're much quieter. They do enjoy human companionship. If allowed to free flight in the home they've been known to follow their owners from room to room, just as parrots and quail do. Roller Pigeons are known for their tumbling flight. Fan tailed Pigeons are incredibly decorative with huge V shaped tails. Ring necked doves are very sweet with a gentle call. They, too, come in a wide variety of domestically created colors. That's a brief run down of different bird species available to first time bird owners. The bigger the bird the more noise you'll get, the bigger the poop and the farther the food flinging. They're a lot of fun though. My local parrot club likes to say birds are like potato chips. You can't just have one! I used to have 3 cockatiels. Now I have a flock of 11!