How do I train my dog to not run off when she is off her leash?

I have a 16 week-old Pug and I am scared to take her off her leash. I know I need to train her to not run off, but I am scared to even try it! Any suggestions?

I have a 16 week-old Pug and I am scared to take her off her leash. I know I need to train her to not run off, but I am scared to even try it! Any suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I train my dog to not run off when she is off her leash?...

• How do I train my dog to not run off when she is off her leash?

How do I train my dog to not run off when she is off her leash? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 16 week-old Pug and I am scared to take her off her leash. I know I need to train her to not run off, but I am scared to even try it! Any suggestions?

How do I train my dog to not run off when she is off her leash? Other Pet Discussions
    • If the dog is outside of your fenced yard, she should be on leash, for her own safety as well as there may be a leash law in your city or town.Teach the dog to come on command - do this on leash until she is totally consistent and comes back every time. Call her to you, and with the leash, pull her in if you need to. Only give her the command one time, if she doesn't respond, pull her in. As she is coming towards you, make a big fuss, a lot of praise. When she reaches you, pet her. Do not use treats for this exercise, as she may or may listen if you don't happen to have a treat with you - get her coming to you simply by voice and verbal praise.Enroll in a basic obedience or puppy kindergarten class. These will work with the dog listening on leash, and then depending on the provider, they may offer advanced classes that work off leash.However, know that any dog, if they get focused on something, will remain focused and not necessarily listen or respond to you or their training. Therefore, when walking down the street, etc., always keep the dog on leash.

• well, you really aren't supposed to have your dog off leash anywhere in public... so thats a positive point! personally, what you would have to do is practice with the leash, and try buying one of those lonnger leashes. then practice walking around, and only correct her when she goes too far away from you. this will probably be a very long, tedious especailly because she is young (and hyper). so pretty much just practice walking in the park, not holding the leash but let it drag just in cese she sees a squirrel or something interesting... i think you can do it if you really dedicate yourself! =]any questions?

• take your dog into ur back yard if u have 1 and its fenced in. take treats or something else. have it follow you around the yard off the leash, giving it treats as you go. once you've mastered this try it outside of your yard taking the leash with you. do it starting short distances and going farther with when you've mastered the shorter distance. hope it helps

• hitting him will not help...my dog does that too...put him on his leash, control ur dog thru his leash...make it sure that he will not run off, or he will always be at ur back or just beside you..pull his leash towards you whenever his trying to run off or be over you...do that all the time u'll be out with him...just be consistent and say loud NO and pull him towards you when he's not doing the right...do that until he gets used to it...he will learn that thru repetition..just be consistent...

• i don't like to hit dogs.. specially pugs as they are tiny...usually with mine i find it is all in the tone of voice.. teach the dog first what no..and good mean; reward and say good... make sure when you say NO you do it in a VERY loud Stern voice...then get a retractable leash.. start with it short and walk the dog regularly every time she pulls the leash pull her back in and say NO... when she walks beside you right say good girl.. stop and reward her.. not EVERY time.. but intermittently.slowly lengthen the leash.. keep in mind you will probably want to leave her on the leash as most town have leash laws so you cant just let her be free.. even if she stays right by you...the biggest mistake most people make with dogs is they think of them as people; don't get me wrong.. i am not saying the dog shouldn't and can't be loved.. but people reason... dogs don't..dogs are pack animals.. you MUST be the pack leader.. never let her chase you out of a chair.. or be in command.. if you do she will think she is pack leader.. not you..

• Why do you need to take her off her leash? If you can walk her on a line and she behaves, I would be happy with that. Only take her off her leash when she is in a yard or somewhere that she can't take off. If you are just generally concerned about something that could happen if her leash broke or something... well, most dogs are going to go do what they want to do if they aren't on a line.I would recommend taking her outside in a yard or some secure area and letting her off her leash. You could work with the command stay, or sit or anything in general that is going to distract her from running off. Practice letting her run around and then calling her back. Give her a small piece of a treat every other time she comes back so that she learns that when she comes to you she will be rewarded. Hope that helps.

• Randee- I'm one of the "special people"? I haven't been called that since I was in the alternative school! LOL! (Just kidding!)Okay- the first thing, is to never allow your dog to run off leash until she KNOWS how to come back- this is very important. When a dog runs off, and keeps from coming back to you, it's self rewarding- meaning they are getting rewarded by being able to run, sniff, etc.- you must not allow this!Second- you have to be the most exciting thing in the world! You have to be more exciting than dirt! (Trust me, it's easier said than done! Especially with those ground sniffers!)- so, make sure that the toy/treats whatever you're using is her absolutely FAVORITE!Third- get a long line- you can get a 100 ft leash- or a 100' piece of rope and attach a clip to it to clip to her leash- then you can just drop the end- don't ever let her get more than 100' away from you. Practice her recalls- tell her to come- if she doesn't come- pick up the end of the leash/rope and reel her in- just like you were fishing. When she gets to you, she gets rewarded. Fourth- when using the long line- you can get her to you, reward her, then give her a quiet "okay" (or other release word)- and let her go again. This way, you are teaching her that coming to you doesn't ALWAYS mean that the fun is over.Fifth- practice restrained recalls. (I would do this in a fenced in area without the long line)- have someone hold her- get her REALLY revved up- have her favorite toy or treat and really TEASE her with it- wait until she is SCREAMING to go- all the while, you will tease her, take a few steps, tease her again, take a few more steps- your helper will release her when you say "come"- start running AWAY from her when she's released- with the toy/treat out for her to see- you want her to catch you- and get the treat/reward.Sixth- be sure that you never use your "come" command for something unpleasant- bathtime, stuff in a crate, etc.- coming to you should be the best thing she can do.Seventh- you can always go to www.cleanrun.com and order the DVD "Really Reliable Recall"- it's FANTASTIC- well worth the money.Hope this helps! You are starting early, so if you stay with it, and really stick to your guns, she'll be fine- but if she gets away with ignoring your command just once- the task at hand becomes that much more difficult.Good luck!