What would cause a strong amonia smell in my cats litter box?

Our 10 yr old cats box smells so bad everyday that I have a hard time cleaning it out because it makes me gag. He drinks from his water bowl and doesn't seem sick. Anyone find a litter that isn't dusty and absorbs ordors? If you feel he might be sick,…

Our 10 yr old cats box smells so bad everyday that I have a hard time cleaning it out because it makes me gag. He drinks from his water bowl and doesn't seem sick. Anyone find a litter that isn't dusty and absorbs ordors? If you feel he might be sick,…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What would cause a strong amonia smell in my cats litter box?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What would cause a strong amonia smell in my cats litter box?

What would cause a strong amonia smell in my cats litter box? Other Pet Discussions
      Our 10 yr old cats box smells so bad everyday that I have a hard time cleaning it out because it makes me gag. He drinks from his water bowl and doesn't seem sick. Anyone find a litter that isn't dusty and absorbs ordors? If you feel he might be sick, what signs should I look for?

What would cause a strong amonia smell in my cats litter box? Other Pet Discussions
    • its just his urine. thats how is always smell and boy cats seem to smell stonger. at least my boy cat does. just change it more often or buy the clumping stuff so you can scoop the pee right away.

• Often when a cat starts into kidney failure their urine becomes more concentrated and will smell more like ammonia. If you feed dry food, kidney failure is a real possibility. It's time for a vet visit.

• It's from the pee. It might be time to scrub the litter box with dish soap and boiling water or even to get a new one. I like Arm&Hammer's litter- it clumps nicely and keeps the smell down. If your cat is sick, you'd would notice straining to use the potty and a general lassitude. If you're concerned, take him to the vet because kidney problems are common in older cats.

• Kidney failure or tract infection,or mabey you dont clean it out often enough.Silca bead litter and crystalised litter are the best at absorbing odour.You should be paying at LEAST $20 a bag for good quality litter.Desexing can also bring the smell down considerably.

• cats urine is very strong, and yes the key is the litter, i find fresh step in the buckets to be the best, it is dusty, however absorbs very well, i don't have any issues when cleaning out, you might also want to get a deodorizer to sprinkle in, arm & hammer has a good one

• A healthy cats urine should be concentrated and it can smell like amonia. The diet can also have an effect on the smell. Using a good quality litter and cleaning the box often will keep the odor down. If you start noticing that there is excessive dilute urine that doesn't smell, that is a sign of trouble.