My cat drinks only running tap water.How can I train her to drink from the bowl?

My cat likes to drink water from the running faucet. But I've NEVER seen her drink from her water bowls (and I have 2 for her - one next to her food bowl and another one in a corner where she likes to hang out).I'm worried that she doesn't drink enough…

My cat drinks only running tap water.How can I train her to drink from the bowl?

My cat likes to drink water from the running faucet. But I've NEVER seen her drink from her water bowls (and I have 2 for her - one next to her food bowl and another one in a corner where she likes to hang out).I'm worried that she doesn't drink enough…...
    Other Pet Discussions : My cat drinks only running tap water.How can I train her to drink from the bowl?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My cat drinks only running tap water.How can I train her to drink from the bowl?

My cat drinks only running tap water.How can I train her to drink from the bowl? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat likes to drink water from the running faucet. But I've NEVER seen her drink from her water bowls (and I have 2 for her - one next to her food bowl and another one in a corner where she likes to hang out).I'm worried that she doesn't drink enough water. Should I be? Can cats get dehydrated?Does anyone know how I could train her to drink from her bowls?

My cat drinks only running tap water.How can I train her to drink from the bowl? Other Pet Discussions
    • Get a Drinkwell water dish. It runs like a faucet. My cats love it! PetsMart carries it. You can also get an extra tank to attach to it. It's really cool.

• Pets can get anything humans get. So yes, she can get dehydrated. Try forcing her. Maybe she is uneasy about it, but once she does it she wont mind drinking from it. Until then, run your faucet for her atleast 5-6 times a day IMO.

• dont worry, MANY cats prefer running water. You know, they do sell water dish kits for cats that make a litte waterfall so they can drink fresh flowing water when they please. They cost around...um...$30 or so I think, but it may be a good fix to your problem! I cant say a brand to hunt for, but they do make these, so just hunt around online :) Im sure you could find them on Ebay very easy!

• It will never happen. I have a 12 year old cat that only wants to drink fresh water, from the tap or my cup. What is really cool is of my, uh, few cats, the two that are like this are the sweetest and most affectionate ones. I am guessing you have a great cat there, just run the tap when you can and keep fresh water available, and all should be fine.

• Hi,My cat dosnt drink from her bowls either. She gets in the shower after I get out and has a huge drink.This is common. I took Lizzy to the vet becasue I was worried like you. They said it is normal. Cats don't drink alot of water. The will maily drink from puddles, dripping or running taps or off glass surfices. I changed her bowl to a glass bowl and she sometimes drinks from it.Dont stress as cats get there liquid from grass, wet food and showers, kithcen sinks and anywere that is wet.You cat is fine. Try a glass bowl (not ceramic or china) and if that dosnt work take it to the vet for a check up.

• Cats can get dehydrated. I would suggest getting a bowl that has a fountain of water filtered through it continuously. Also once my cat was really dehydrated and the vet suggested placing many bowls of water out--like 6 or so. He was back to normal in no time. There is a way to test for dehydration by pulling on the fur but I would ask a vet for assistance before doing this.

• If water is not there..."she will seek" it out...My cats (I have 3...2 like the faucet also)...but I won't leave them running for them..and they eventually will go to their water bowls..however..if we are in the bathroom with the water running that is where these 2 want to be....but that's just an "interesting""different" thing for them I think...because they WILL drink from their bowls if the faucets aren't running....But like I said..they will seek water out when ever the "need" arises.....DON'T worry as long as there is fresh water available........

• Cats are a little finicky about the freshness of their water and food. Could it be that your cat thinks you aren't keeping her water bowl updated? Make sure you change it in front of her, preferably when she is attempting to drink from the faucet.

• My sisters cat does the same thing. Since he won't drink out of a bowl she leave a short glass of water on the sink for him and he drinks from it when the faucet is not on. Good Luck.

• I have had the same problem and I purchased a cat water fountain from SkyMall.com, my cat purrfers aerated water because it's always fresh-tasting like the facet. It has a bowl at the bottom and after a while she would drink out of any bowl of water that was changed everyday.

• Some cats just will not drink from the bowl. So if she isn't, it might very well be that she does not get enough liquid. Its definetely a cat quirk and yours is not alone. You will probably need to invest in a water fountain designed especially for cats. They run around $50 and are a good investment for cats that wont drink stagnant water. Get one with a quiet motor if you can. Another trick I try with my cats, although they do drink from the bowl, is to mix their wet food with a certain amount of water enough to make a soupy mixture out of it. They always drink the liquid out first. Its worth a shot.

• One of my cats does that. We thought it was so cute how he wanted to drink from the tub faucet. Now he constantly hops in the tub meowing for us to turn the water on. We are training him to drink from his bowl now. This is what you do. First, don't turn on the faucet for her. Next, when she is meowing next to the faucet or you happen to see her there, pick her up and put her by her water bowls. Eventually she will get the idea that she won't get any more water from the faucet and she will drink from her bowls. This is working for our cat!