How do you help a kitten with a broken leg?

She is ten weeks old. SHe has been holding her leg up for two days and when I touch iot it hurts her. I can feel where it is broken so I know that is what is wrong. How can I help her to heal it? SHould I try to splint it, and how do I do that? I…

How do you help a kitten with a broken leg?

She is ten weeks old. SHe has been holding her leg up for two days and when I touch iot it hurts her. I can feel where it is broken so I know that is what is wrong. How can I help her to heal it? SHould I try to splint it, and how do I do that? I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you help a kitten with a broken leg?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Take her or call the ASPCA, the local humane society or animal shelter. They may have to put her down. If you try to set it, it could heal incorrectly

• Find a veterinary college. My son has a friend who just graduated from one and he said that people can bring in their animals. I'm not sure about the cost but it's less expensive because they are still learning with their instructors guidance. It's possible they only charge for medications needed. I have several kittens and know how much she means to you. Don't try this yourself. Chances are you will do her more harm then good. Good luck!

• Call a vet and explain your situation. DO NOT try splinting unless advised by the vet. Many vets are sympathetic and will either work with you on a payment plan, or can refer you to a local organization that will assist you with payment. And they will help you pay for neutering, which you must do.Call the vet right away. The leg could heal in a deformed position. Don't kill the cat just because it has an injury. Get it to a vet.

• I don't know so I say take her to the vet where u know they can help her to make sure she's ok and give her something for pain.I'll be praying for her she probley just broke it,my granmas cats do that all the time they liv outside and there's this tom cat that comes at night and it trys to steal there food and they fight she normaly leaves it alone and it helas but I SAY TAKE HER TO THE VET RIGHT AWAY!

• You make me feel sad and angry just knowing the cat has been in pain for 2 days now. At least take the cat to the ASPCA and don't let it suffer any longer. I sure hope you do not have any children, because what are you going to do if one of them is ever hurt or sick?

• Most vets are more concerned about helping your pet and will make payment arragements for people who have difficulty paying. You can also offer to volunteer time to offset the charges. If you do not take her in SOON the leg could heal wrong and she will be crippled for life. PLEASE do not worry about how you will pay. They will not turn you away!

• Tie a band aid with ctootn cloth around the affected area to provide support for healing and then take her to vet. dont worry cats have good recovery power she will get well sooon..all the best

• If you can't afford a vet, check with an animal shelter, maybe they could help.Otherwise, splint it. Use a wide bendable piece of flat metal if you can get one. Otherwise, use what you can. Even a stiff (corrugated) piece of cardboard is better than nothing. Bend it as close to the shape of the natural leg as possible. Then put it against the leg and wrap a long strip of cloth around and around and around it and the kitty's broken leg. Tape it in place. She will try to get it off, so you'll need to keep checking it. DO NOT wrap it very tight. Wrap it so that when you "pinch" it lightly it will buckle just a little. Leave it on for about three weeks and then remove it GENTLY. If it doesn't seem healed, put another one on. If you can't keep the kitten from taking it off, make a cardboard collar for the cat by cutting out a circle of cardboard and cutting a circular hole in the middle. Slice the circle from outside to inside. Then wrap it around the cat's neck with the small side toward her body and the large side toward her ears. Tape it in place. It should keep her from being able to reach her foot and leg with her mouth. Be sure she can eat, though. : )You CAN splint it and it will help ease her pain to have it not moving. Also, if her leg grows a little crooked she will probably still be ok. I had to do that for a tiny kitten when I lived in Turkey once. Only he had two broken legs. He healed and one leg was a little crooked, but he did fine. A broken leg is not usually fatal.But taking her to the vet would be best if you at all can.

• she needs to go to the vet. No ifs, ands, or buts. If left the way it is, the leg will heal in the wrong position. Doing it yourself is dangerous to the cat. There could be shards. Just take it to the vet.