How do I get my dog to quit barking so much?

I have a one year old redbone coonhound and she barks constantly. There is a barking ordinance in my town and I have had the dog catcher come to my house and say there has been complaints. I have another dog that doesn't bark like she does. What can I…

I have a one year old redbone coonhound and she barks constantly. There is a barking ordinance in my town and I have had the dog catcher come to my house and say there has been complaints. I have another dog that doesn't bark like she does. What can I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to quit barking so much?...

• How do I get my dog to quit barking so much?

How do I get my dog to quit barking so much? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a one year old redbone coonhound and she barks constantly. There is a barking ordinance in my town and I have had the dog catcher come to my house and say there has been complaints. I have another dog that doesn't bark like she does. What can I do? HELP PLEASE, I have a baby on the way soon and she already wakes my three year old up all the time. And she is an outside dog. To big to be inside.She isn't chained we have a big fenced in yard and my son plays with her all the time. We also take her for walks and my husband takes her for runs with him. She is spoiled, not abused thank you much!

How do I get my dog to quit barking so much? Other Pet Discussions
    • She is still a puppy. She needs plenty of love and affection. Try using an old towl, some chew toys, and anything to keep her mind off of whats goin on around her. It's in her blood to bark. Make sure she has plenty of room to roam. She needs it. Getting her fixed might help too. Dogs calm down when they loose their stuff.

• Here's a pdf that could help. It gives you some options and it's written by Dumb Friends League started in 1910. Link 2 is the website where I found this.

• Lots of bark products on the market. One I use is Barker Breaker. I use it to keep other dogs away on occasion. It doesn't hurt them they just don't like the high pitched sound that is inaudible to humans. Your local pet store can help you out. Also check out: www.shopping.com/xGS-barker_breakerThere are lots of other gadgets at the pet store.

• Since she is a puppy still you might consider your husband taking her to obedience school.It really helps. Especially with another one on the way, it would be adviseable. With little ones around it can be quit challenging. Sounds like she is very well loved. Good Luck to YAS!!!!

• Get a Bark Training Collar. It is simular to the Electronic Fence collars, where you give the dog a shock when he barks at the wrong times.Some consider these collars as cruel, but they are not. The dog will get enough of a shock to stop the bark. This is due that the shock surprises the dog and he stops trying to figure out what happened. When he starts to bark again, you give him another zap. It will only take a few time until he equates the bark to the shock and stops barking.I used this on one of my dogs and it worked great. My dog barked all night long at everything. Most of the time he barked at shadows caused by the moon or street lights. He learned the first night. The second night he changed the bark to a low soft bark, but he still got the shock. By the third night it was quiet all night. The only time he barked at night after that was when I thought I could remove the collar and leave it off. He knew. That night he started his old habit and I had to put it back on. He fought me to keep it off, but being the more intelligent species, I finally got it on after about an hour.When I bought the collar for my dog was 5 yrs ago. I was expensive back then, but now are a lot cheaper. It is well worth the money.

• With few exceptions, all dogs bark. Barking is a natural behaviour and it is a way of communicating. While the messages can range from loneliness to hunger or playfulness, most often barking is used as an alarm or alert signal that indicates to the other pack members that a stranger or intruder is approachingMost people have a feeling of security and comfort knowing their dogs are “on the job”. Some people even encourage their dogs to bark and growl when the doorbell rings or someone knocks. They feel this is acceptable behaviour, however, when the dogs become uncontrollable, with barking that is excessive, they become a nuisance. Life is miserable for neighbours who must listen day after day to barking dogs. Excessive barking often begins in puppy-hood, when the pup who is not yet house-trained is unwisely shut behind closed doors. Improper confinement will definitely cause a barking problem, and dogs that are tied or tethered will eventually become frustrated and begin to bark to communicate their displeasure. We must always remember that dogs are pack animals. It is not natural or normal for them to be alone, however, millions of dogs must learn to cope confidently while members of the family go out daily to work. Chewing, uncontrolled barking, house-training problems and destructive behaviour have put many dogs out of their homes, and all of this could be avoided if we simply communicated more effectively with our canine companions. They are part of a pack or family, similar in behaviour to their ancestors, the wolves. Wolves travel, hunt, sleep and eat in a group environment, therefore, we must modify this instinct. We must, in our human packs, make our dogs feel comfortable and secure about being alone in the “den” while the other pack members are away. Because most barking takes place when you are away from home, you have no choice but to believe your neighbours when they complain. Barking is actually quite common and not that difficult to rectify. Let us consider the encouraging owner who inadvertently praises and teaches his or her dog that its barking is the greatest thing, which makes the dog feel its owner is happy and pleased when he barks. The easiest way to teach the dog to bark is command him to “speak”. So while the dog is barking at the door, the owner may use the command word “speak”. The dog will associate barking behaviour with this word. Now, your golden moment has arrived. You are going to teach your dog the word “quiet”, or “enough” or “shush” (your choice!). We do not teach the word “No”, because “No” means “Never, ever do that - ever". When you command your dog to be “Quiet” and he keeps barking, you will have to teach him the meaning of the word “Quiet”. Hitting your dog or using other physical measure or mechanical or electronic aids are unkind and unnecessary. You may hold your dog’s muzzle closed (gently and kindly), or you may have to use a water pistol. Another method is to make a sudden sharp sound (rattle a pop can with some coins in it, or bang on a pot) to divert your dog’s attention from barking. When your dog has ceased to bark for at least three to five seconds, praise him in a quiet, calm voice, perhaps saying, “Good, quiet. Good!”. Avoid stroking, patting and hugging your dog at this point, as you may over-excite him again, and he may miss the point of the whole exercise. Before you leave your dog alone, remember the following points: Provide adequate exercise. Leave the radio or television on. Provide your dog with proper chewing material - rawhide, nylabones and Kong toys stuffed with yummy stuff are good (beware of using real animal bones - they can splinter). Crate train your dog. Unplug your phone. Place a “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door. This may prevent trades people from knocking or ringing the bell, which would set your dog off on a barking cycle. Shut the shades or drapes so your dog cannot see outside. Make your departures calm. Tone things down and be matter of fact. Over-emotional, guilt-ridden departures (and entrances) put your dog in a state of anxiety.