How do you keep a dog really clean?

I have just been given a few week old puppy. I have never had a pet before. I hate smelly dogs. Please tell me how I can keep my dog fresh and good smelling. Can I use people items, like perfume and powder?

I have just been given a few week old puppy. I have never had a pet before. I hate smelly dogs. Please tell me how I can keep my dog fresh and good smelling. Can I use people items, like perfume and powder?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you keep a dog really clean?...

• How do you keep a dog really clean?

How do you keep a dog really clean? Other Pet Discussions
      I have just been given a few week old puppy. I have never had a pet before. I hate smelly dogs. Please tell me how I can keep my dog fresh and good smelling. Can I use people items, like perfume and powder?

How do you keep a dog really clean? Other Pet Discussions
    • I use a product called "Groomax For Dogs". Deep Deodorizing Shampoo & Grooming & Finishing Spray, in Tangerine Melon Scent. I got it at PetLand (Canada), but I am sure you can find it at any good pet store. :)

• DO NOT use people items, there are however special items for doggies such as bathwipes and parfumes that you can use when the dog gets smell... careful about how many baths, you can dry out your dog's skin and get doggie dander... I dont mean to be rude, but are you sure you want to keep this puppy. They are a HUGE responsibility! And if you are not too keen of smelly dogs, well maybe you should put an ad in the paper and find a good home for the puppy. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

• you can buy some pet friendly body spray in the pet section at your local wal-mart or petco, it comes in different scents like vanilla, lavender and baby powder.

• Bath the dog regularly once every 4 months. Over bathing will dry out the skin to much and cause itching. Mix one cap full of Avon "skin so Soft" in a spray bottle with water and mist dogs coat rub in once a week. this will smell good and also keep fleas away

• You can use Men's Colgate Shaving foam. Rub the foam into the puppy's coat, and then wipe dry with a washcloth or rag. Keeps the coat soft, the smell nice, the fleas away, and the dog clean. It is safe for even young puppies.

• There's special shampoos that allow you to wash your dog once a week without drying it's skin. Also, there's other products that are for dry bathing where you it's like a lotion and you just have to rub on to the dogs coat to clean it.

• no... they have special perfumes at pet stores that help your dog if there is a smell... typically if you just wash your dog every other week, there should be nno problem, unless your dog gets into something (like mud, dirt, poop, etc.) then give him an extra bath... but typically if you just give your dog a bath every one and a half to two weeks, you should be fine on smell! hope all goes well and good luck...

• Cleaning pets can be very difficult depending on the dog, be sure to clear the area of any breakable items.Tools & chemicals:pet (dog) shampoo, a container for rinsing your dog and lots of towels.TechniqueTo clean a dog’s coat, a bath using pet shampoo is sufficient. For a particularly oily coat, use a tar-based shampoo, which is available at most pet stores. Don’t bath a dog too much -approximately once per month is enough (unless necessary when the dog has rolled in the mud or worse!)- because overbathing will cause the oil glands to produce more oil.If your dog has been sprayed by a skunk, try the traditional tomato juice rinse. First, shampoo, rinse and dry off your dog. Then, while your dog is still in the bathtub, pour tomato juice - you may have to use several large cans - all through your dog’s coat. Let it soak for 10-20 minutes. Rinse and shampoo the dog again. Repeat if necessary.Note: If your dog has a white coat, it may end up pink or orange for awhile! Another do-it-yourself remedy is to mix ¼ cup baking soda and 1 tsp liquid soap in 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide. Work the mixture into the dog’s fur then rinse well.Another tip to remove skunk smell, which has worked for some, is to add 2 table spoons of peppermint extract to a gallon of rinse water. Avoid the dogs head, as this may sting their eyes a little. You may also want to place a towel on the bottom of the tub or basin you are using to wash the dog to prevent the dog from slipping or damaging the bottom of the tub.Note: A smelly dog or cat may indicate that your pet has a health problem. See your vet.