How do I keep my dog from digging up my yard & chewing up my fence?

My dog digs holes all over the yard. Some are by the house for shade. Some are by the fence - he likes to play with the neighbors' dogs. Still others are random. He is a large mix-breed about 11 months old. He also chews constantly on our wooden…

My dog digs holes all over the yard. Some are by the house for shade. Some are by the fence - he likes to play with the neighbors' dogs. Still others are random. He is a large mix-breed about 11 months old. He also chews constantly on our wooden…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I keep my dog from digging up my yard & chewing up my fence?...

• How do I keep my dog from digging up my yard & chewing up my fence?

How do I keep my dog from digging up my yard & chewing up my fence? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog digs holes all over the yard. Some are by the house for shade. Some are by the fence - he likes to play with the neighbors' dogs. Still others are random. He is a large mix-breed about 11 months old. He also chews constantly on our wooden fence. He even tears off slats and chews them up around the yard. I worry about him hurting himself. We've tried chemicals and cayenne. We've even tried the poop in the hole method. He has several cow hooves that he loves to chew on. I'm at my wits end. He's a great dog other than this. He's also chewed up our cable cord, water hose, etc...Help!

How do I keep my dog from digging up my yard & chewing up my fence? Other Pet Discussions
    • Give your dog some entertainment. These are classic signs of boredom in a dog. Give your dog toys, pay attention to it more. Go look online, there are tons of resources and most say, you aren't entertaining your dog enough.

• Unfortunatly, some dogs are meant to dig, just as some are meant to pull, however, there are pet "repellants" that are sold in some pet stores. Good Luck!

• Have u ever heard of a word called "NO"? If you're not home when this problem occures, then put him in a 8x8 kennel in your backyard while you're gone

• If he lives outside he's probably bored (think how you'd feel stuck in the yard with nothing to do.) Has he got toys or a nice big bone to chew on? Has he buried a bone and forgotten were it is.Just read your question again and wondered if he's got a tooth problem with all the biting or believe it or not some kind of vitamin deficiency (sounds crazy but it's true.)Water hose, oh God my dog loves the water hose too; won't take a warm bath but turn a freezing cold hose on and he thinks he's in heaven. So maybe your dogs just a nutter like mine.

• My mixed breed dog is about the size of a cocker spaniel, Jeffery. His mom was a Japanese Terrior and his dad a big loving cross breed about the size of a German Sehepherd. Jeffery is very loving dog but I thought when he was a puppy he was going to drive me directly to gray hair! He chewed up my electric blanket cord (and it was plugged in), he chewed the telephone cord, he chewed up his toys and tried to dig out of the yard. To solve the problem and help Jeffery with his needs and my sanity I did the following: I dug a ditch down about 12" deep along the inside of my fence. I put in a 3 foot tall he would hit cerment. The chicken wire went upright all along the fence and I tied it in place with the little wire paper ties you get on your bread and other things. In the ditch I poured in cement. When he tried to dig out he hit cement and yes he tried other places too. He finally just gave up. He tried to claw his way out the wooden fence but the chicken wire pulled toward him but didn't break and after a while he gave up on it to. When I was certain he was finished with his antics, the chicken wire that covered the fence was painted with a can of spray paint that matched the original fence coloring. As far as digging in the yard goes, I gave my dogs their own area, apart from mine. I fenced mine from there's a low fence, easily jumped if they wanted to. They could still get to mine, viva an open area. In their area, I placed their dog bones and their toys. I bought a padded futton mattress at a garage sale for $10.00 (a reg. matteress or box spring works just as well). Before I put the mattress down I put wooded pallets (the kind with spaces) down and put the mattress down on this. this gives the mattress room to breathe, isn't setting in the dirt and lasts longer. I covered the mattress with a thick plastic covering and then put an ordinary fitted sheet over that. When it gets real dirty I put another fitted sheet down and wash the old one. I got 4 more pallets (usually free), I torn them apart so I could make 2 pallets solid and placed in their section of the yard. No flowers were placed in their section, it's just bare and I let the grass grow more than I allow it in the rest of the yard. Dogs like to wallow in the long grass. But I don't let it get more than 3 feet high and I don't let it grow brown in the summer like I do the rest of the yard. Jeffery has a tenacy to stay to his own side of the yard and 2 Tone (his Dad) likes to put all his stuffies over there and they all like to lay on the futton. The shed they sleep in his connected to their side of the yard. When they want to they come to my side they know my rules and when I go to their side I'm carefully where I step. We are all happy now. I have the space to spread but even a small version of what I said will make the dog fill like they have their own private place where there are no rules. In fact don't we all like that?

• There are two major causes of destructive behaviour: boredom and separation anxiety. Separation anxiety is a term used to describe the insecure behaviour of a dog who is too dependent on his owner and thus becomes destructive in his owner's absence. Separation anxiety is also common in dogs who have been abandoned or mistreatedToo many dogs are given up for adoption because of destructive behaviour, usually without any effort by their owners to change or improve their pet's behaviour. Accepting the responsibility of owning a dog means being prepared to deal with such situations. The suggestions listed below will help you and your dog get right back on the good behaviour "track": Have your dog spayed or neutered. Give your dog rigorous, tiring exercise before you leave your home. This will require more time and effort on your part, but it is necessary to help your dog. Make all home departures and arrivals uneventful. Avoid exciting your dog at these times. Most destructive behaviour occurs within the first and last half hours a dog is alone. This is due usually to anxiety brought on by the excitement that often surrounds this time. Plan a play session for your dog half an hour after you arrive home. Never reprimand unless you have caught your dog in the act of being destructive. Punishing your dog on your return for something done in your absence will serve only to increase its anxiety and confusion, and will hinder any progress you have already made. Purchase a crate for your dog to stay in while you are away from home or are unable to keep an eye on your dog (this is comparable to placing a toddler in a playpen). Line the crate with a blanket and provide a variety of safe and suitable chew toys for your dog. Never use the crate as a form of reprimand. Make the act of entering the crate enjoyable. This method is commonly referred to as "cage" or "crate training", and emulates a natural habit of dogs, which is to go into a den for a safe and secure place to rest. Once you feel your dog can be left on his own, you can practice leaving him alone for short periods of time. Allow your dog access only to certain areas of the house and, as with children, make sure breakables and dangerous items are well out of reach (also keep in mind that your dog may just prefer to stay in its "den"). You may wish to read The Toronto Humane Society Fact Sheet "Crate Training" for more information. Before leaving, switch on a radio tuned to a soft music/talk station. The sound of soft human voices and music has a calming effect on dogs. Consult a veterinarian about your dog's diet. Foods that are too high in protein and/or lack other necessary nutrients may have an effect on your dog's behaviour. Make use of the experience of others. Many excellent books are available. Most behavioural problems can be solved with the right amount of love, time and patience. Don't give up! The love and devotion your dog has for you will make it all worthwhile.