What is a good way to help my dog loose weight?

I have a Puggle, a mix between a Pug and a Beagle. He is WAYY over weight, i say 20 pounds. We feed him Grandma's Pot Pie. He seems to like it alot, b ut he gains alot of weight. Its winter and I live in MIchigan, I can't take him for many walks. I'm…

I have a Puggle, a mix between a Pug and a Beagle. He is WAYY over weight, i say 20 pounds. We feed him Grandma's Pot Pie. He seems to like it alot, b ut he gains alot of weight. Its winter and I live in MIchigan, I can't take him for many walks. I'm…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is a good way to help my dog loose weight?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a good way to help my dog loose weight?

What is a good way to help my dog loose weight? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a Puggle, a mix between a Pug and a Beagle. He is WAYY over weight, i say 20 pounds. We feed him Grandma's Pot Pie. He seems to like it alot, b ut he gains alot of weight. Its winter and I live in MIchigan, I can't take him for many walks. I'm worried on how I will be able to make him lose weight. Any suggestions?

What is a good way to help my dog loose weight? Other Pet Discussions
    • Are you a troll or do you seriously not know about dog nutrition even though you own one?Get a good quality, low fat dry food and stop feeding table scraps.I don't care if YOU are cold, you WILL take you dog for a walk!

• bring him to the vet and theyll help.. if not... decrease the amount of food he eats... you shouldnt feed him a lot of people food... they tend to gain more weight than eating their actual food

• Give him Iams and only feed hiom once a day, preferable in the morning or later morning so thay during the day he can burn the calories. Stop giving him treats as well so matter how much her begs and cries

• feed him 2 bowls of dog food-dry and low on fat. you can ask someone at a local pet store on what kinds right for your dog- a day. 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. And get him some toys he can play with in your house or yard and play with him inside if you cant take him for outdoor walks

• Only feed him dry dog food. No more pot pie nonsense, or your dog could be at risk of heart failure. If you want him to thrive, then you should take him on plenty of walks, regardless of the weather, that's why we have coats and umbrellas. You can get a doggy rain coat too (for the dog of course). You could also maybe take your dog to a training class. That way he will get plenty of exercise. If you're too busy, you could always offer pocket money to a niece or nephew to take your dog out and play with him in the park or something. Good luck. :)Happy pup slimming.

• Jenna - I live in Ohio, 20 miles from the MI border. It's pretty cold here but I walk my dogs every day. Rain or shine. Snow or sleet. Also, I volunteer at the local humane society walking their dogs. We walk those dogs 4 days a week - rain or shine. Snow or sleet. You get the picture.If I can do it, you can do it. Also, don't feed your dog as much food. Too much food + too little exercise = fat dog. It's simple math really.

• Do NOT free feed him.Do NOT allow him between meal treats other than small training treats.Google the websites on Dog Body Condition and learn what a good body condition looks and feels like.Right now I think you need to cut his servings down to 3/4 of what you've been feeding him at each meal. Once he loses enough weight, you an inrease his serving size slightly till you find the right serving size to maintain his new, slimmer weight. -!-

• Why can't you take him on walks? I'm in Wisconsin, and it's winter here too and my dog gets at least one walk a day.Go to a store and by Innova Weight Control Formula. Feed him 1/4 a cup, twice a day. WALK HIM. He'll lose weight and he'll get healthy because he'll be on a good food.

• In nature, there is a natural balance between food intake and energy expenditure. Animals must hunt for their food, an energy consuming task, and the food they eat is low in fats and sugars. In domestic animals, this balance is often lost. Life-style factors often mean that pets eat more than what they require, and the food they eat is often not appropriate for their digestive systems, many pet foods being high in carbohydrates, and low in protein.In addition, life-style factors, poor diets, environmental toxins and sluggish metabolisms often result in poor liver functioning meaning pets are unable to effectively remove toxins or eliminate unwanted fats from their bodies.The fist step to treating obese pets is to implement a strict dietary change and exercise program that will encourage weight loss. Your vet will be able to advise on what exercise and diet will best suit your pet’s dietary and physical needs, and will also aim at treating any underlying causes or consequences of the obesity. In some case, your vet may recommend a special high quality diet food that will help your pet lose weight.Natural RemediesHelping your pet lose that extra weight is no easy task, but luckily nature has a few natural ingredients to assist with the process. The mineral rich sea vegetable, Fucus vesiculosis will help increase your pet’s metabolism by assisting in the production of thyroid hormones.Other beneficial weight-loss ingredients include Curcuma longa which helps with the break-down of dietary fats, and Milk Thistle which is renowned for its beneficial effects of the liver, the organ responsible for metabolizing fats in the body.You may get further details on these remedies & other tips here http://www.healthherbsandnutrition.com/pets/slenderpet-weight-loss-cats-dogs.htm