How do you train a kitten to be leash trained?

My kitten is about 10 or 11 months old, and is about a foot long (not including the tail) She is a calico and weighes about 5 pounds.

My kitten is about 10 or 11 months old, and is about a foot long (not including the tail) She is a calico and weighes about 5 pounds....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you train a kitten to be leash trained?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you train a kitten to be leash trained?

How do you train a kitten to be leash trained? Other Pet Discussions
      My kitten is about 10 or 11 months old, and is about a foot long (not including the tail) She is a calico and weighes about 5 pounds.

How do you train a kitten to be leash trained? Other Pet Discussions
    • Also, how do you train a 7 year old cat to be leash trained? I tried it 2 years ago and she would just lay on the ground on her side and I dragged her in the grass and she was so stubborn she wouldn't get up.

• Try using the leash when you are holding your cat or in a comfortable situation for her. See how she reacts to it. let her get used to the feel. then you can start to walk her only if she lets you. she is a little old to be trained on a leash but it is possible. good luck.

• You have to start when they've very tiny kittens. It works better with a harness than a collar and leash. I've seen a number of cats walking on a leash with a harness.

• cats shouldn't be on a leash, its not natural for them and most will refuse to cooperate. If your area is too dangerous for them to go outside alone then perhaps you shouldn't have a cat there or you should keep them inside all the time.

• Well you shouldn't have to put your cat on a leash, just buy a litter box or something so it can do its business. However if you must train your cat then:1. Purchase a comfortably-fitting harness and lightweight leash with a secure clip. Do not use a collar, as the cat may be able to slip out of it. You want the leash to pull from the chest rather than the throat. The cats' Walking Jacket is a fine alternative to a harness, virtually escape free, and with the leash attached mid-back, for comfort.2. Put the harness and leash somewhere near kitty's sleeping area and leave it there for several days to accustom him to it's appearance and smell.3. Wait until just before his normal mealtime, then put the harness on the cat. You should be able to comfortably slip two fingers between the harness and his skin.4. Immediately feed him his favorite meal and praise him when he is finished.5. Let him wear the harness for awhile. If it seems to bother him, distract him by playing with a favorite toy.6. When your cats seems to be accustomed to the harness, take it off.7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for several days, leaving the harness on longer each time.8. Next, attach the leash to the harness and let kitty walk around the house, dragging the leash. Watch him carefully that he doesn't get tangled up around furniture.9. Praise him for being such a good cat, and give him some loving hugs.10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 for a few days, until the cat seems to accept the harness and leash.11. Now, let him walk around as usual, but pick up the business end of the leash and follow him in his wanderings. Keep the tension slack, so as not to restrict his movement.12. Practice step 11 for a few days.13. Teach kitty to follow you by talking to him in a cajoling manner and lightly pulling on the lead. Don't fight him. Leash-training should be a pleasurable experience for the cat, not an adversarial one. On the other hand, if he tugs at the leash, simply stop until he relaxes, then move on.14. You're ready to move outdoors now. Do it gradually, and take your first short excursions in your own back yard, or in a quiet area.15. Gradually increase his exposure to the sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors. Soon, the two of you will be able to enter walkathons together.Tips: 1. Patience, patience, patience. Stay tune to your cat's reactions and let him guide you at his own pace. Don't let this training become a battle of the wills, because you will surely lose. 2. If you have more than one cat, it may actually be easier to train the second one, because she will want to follow the first.What You Need: * Sturdy Harness * Lightweight leash

• It's very difficult but it can be done. It takes A LOT of practice and patience. Go to http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissues/ht/leashtrain.htm for some tips. I did it just by putting my cat on a leash daily.

• You don't. Is this even a serious question?You put your cat on a leash and she will probably hate you...how would you feel if your parents did that to you. I won't even put one on my dog anymore.

• For the Kitten: The same way as a dog. first at home and only when she is comfortable start out side.You have to give it a bit more time then a dog as dogs are easear to train.For te Older cat: You have left it a bit late, but try using the leash at home, when you are about to feed her, etc, go to another room put the leash on and then try to make her go to where you feed her, do not force the cat as this will make her hate the leash even more.

• make sure kitten is used to collar, then add leash, get kitten used to PULL when you go in out of rooms, time and practice,to train it. get kitten used to leash in house, before other distractions outside scare it, put tim in for everyday training, I think it would know enough that it was being control by leash, and can't run from it.evenutally over 3 month period, you might be able to take outside training. don't expect cat to WALK along like in movies, those animals KNOW what to do.new thing, strange to cat at first, but do keep in mind,it can be done with TRAINING, not snap of fingers.