What are the signs of good water quality?

Hi, I just want to know what are the signs of good water quality for fish, well in my tank I always do 20% water changes weekly. So I want to know what are the good signs that the water quality is good. (Please dont mention the test readings of ammonia…

Hi, I just want to know what are the signs of good water quality for fish, well in my tank I always do 20% water changes weekly. So I want to know what are the good signs that the water quality is good. (Please dont mention the test readings of ammonia…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What are the signs of good water quality?...

• What are the signs of good water quality?

What are the signs of good water quality? Other Pet Discussions
      Hi, I just want to know what are the signs of good water quality for fish, well in my tank I always do 20% water changes weekly. So I want to know what are the good signs that the water quality is good. (Please dont mention the test readings of ammonia and nitrate whether it is bad or good I just want to know common good signs). PS: At least give 3 causes minimum and 10 maximum please.

What are the signs of good water quality? Other Pet Discussions
    • Fish Are AliveWater Is Running From The Filter OkayFish Are Not Constanlty At The Top Of The Tank Taking Air InFish Colour StrongWater Looks ClearFish Are Not Acting SluggishNot A Strong Stench From WaterFish Are EatingNo Substances On The Tank CaseLive Plants Are AliveHope this helps :)

• I'm sorry to really tell you that visually looking at your tank and just because it's clear, doesn't mean your water quality is good. Let me give you an example, and I know you mentioned the nitrogen compounds, but truly, this is your best indicator.You can have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, clear water that doesn't smell, and your fish all alive. Let's say you aren't changing that water at 20% weekly, you may well have nitrates at 60 or 80 ppm in there due to overstocking or overfeeding. You aren't going to see anything directly from this. Exposure to high nitrates effect the growth and immune systems of your fish and leave them weak to any pathogens that could get in your tank. That's just one example.Look I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it's misleading to say look for clear non smelling water and fish are alive. This isn't always a case where you'll be fine.My opinion, what makes your water quality good, is having:1. No ammonia2. No Nitrite3. Keeping your water at 40 ppm or under in nitrates4. Has proper electrolyte balance5. Your lighting is in balance on a regular cycle6. You have no pathogens in your tank or sick fish.7. Plants are not decayingThis again isn't necessarily what you want, but if you take the view point that your water is clear, fish are just alive, and it doesn't smell, you could be getting set up for failure using only that. I might recommend that you increase from 20% weekly to 40 or 50%. It all depends on your nitrate output from your bio filter. I'm sure some others could tack on a few more catagories to look at that I didn't consider, and they would be equally correct.