How can I prevent my dog from going under the bed?

My dog likes to go under the bed when there is lightning and thunder. I really don't like her to because she had back surgery in 2003, and I am afraid she will hurt it again. I have stuff under there already but she pushes her way through. Is there…

How can I prevent my dog from going under the bed?

My dog likes to go under the bed when there is lightning and thunder. I really don't like her to because she had back surgery in 2003, and I am afraid she will hurt it again. I have stuff under there already but she pushes her way through. Is there…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I prevent my dog from going under the bed?...

• two of my dogs are pertified of storms and i give them a benadryl pill before it starts (per vet, it can relax them) and i hold/cuddle them and talk to them/do my best to calm them. my dogs can not follow directions during this time because they are in what I call a blind panic. I have tried the thing with playing tapes all day of storms and it just leaves my poor dog a nervous wreck it doesnt desensitize them. as for you i suggest picking your dog up before it can get under your bed. shut door to your room/rooms where there is a bed.

• unfortunately many animals get scared in storms. You can check with your vet for a MILD tranq to give her but if you set up a barrier she will just find somewhere else to hide and she may end up hurting herself there instead.

• I would go get underbed storage drawers or totally replace your bedframe with an underbed storage system. You'll still have storage area underneath, but there would be no way she could get in.

• Dogs are naturally den animals, and feel secure in enclosed spaces. If you dont want her under the bed, you will have to find somewhere for her to go when she is scared. I suggest a kennel or a crate that you can make her comfortable in, and still have access to it so you can comfort her when she is scared.

• The safest way to handle her if its to prevent further injury is to use a crate. Line it with soft blankets, put in a used sock of yours and maybe a favorite toy, and talk to her through the storm. She'll be ok.

• dont baby her, or she will become dependent on your comforting, but also show her that there is no problem, and also find a way to block out the under area of the bed so she cant go under there. use tough love.

• It's very easy to change a dog's mind just like it is to change a child's mind. When there is thunder or lightening never tell the dog "it's ok" because then they think there is something to be afraid of. Play with the dog and give him a treat and then before long they associate something good with the storm. Good Luck.

• give her another safe, dark, confined place -- it likely reminds her of a den. if she is crate traind try putting the crate at the foot of the bed, or make her a place in your closet, ect.

• Get her a dog house in a corner of the room. With a cloth loosely put over the door. Several times a day, show it to her until she gets used to it. Then if it starts to storm and she still wants to go under the bed, pick her up and put her in the dog house and put the cloth down over the door. It might take a couple of times, but she will learn that is her safe place.

• be calm during a storm for starters and have her sit next to you and pet and talk to her, eventually she will look for protection from you instead of going under the bed. It worked for a dog I had.

• http://www.lenhumanesoc.org/Tips/storms.htmDoes your pooch bury his head into your side every time it thunders out? Does he dive under the bed whenever rain starts to fall? From your point of view, this may seem like cute and endearing behavior, but it’s a sign that your dog is terrified of storms. Some owners are willing to simply put up with symptoms of storm phobias like hiding, trembling, whining, drooling, and pacing. In more severe cases, however, panicking dogs have been known to chew furniture, tear drapes, break windows, and more during thunderstorms. In either case, the behavior is a sign of a terrified, unhappy dog. Please be patient with your dog, and don't take the advice of hitting your dog to keep him from under your bed. Love your dog lots,

• Hi, If you know there is a storm coming put her in a crate and give her a nice treat that you only give when a storm is coming so she will have a good association with the storm instead of just bad things. Put her in a room and cover the crate so it's like a cave she will feel more secure it'll be just like being under the bed. It will ease her stress, some dogs are very sensitive to loud storms etc

• She is going under there for security, if you can provide another covered place for her she may use it instead, like one of those carrier cges, Get her used to it on a daily basis and then she will feel that is her secure place. Leave the door open after she is used to it and she will go in when she wants. Provide her blanket and a favorite toy inside.

• Shut your door when you are not in there,when you are leave it open, and if your dog tries to get under the bed say " BAD " take her out from under the bad and give her a little hit on one side of the stomach. When you are in there and she does'nt go under the bed, give her a treat.~*Alyssa*~

• theres certain sprays made for pets that give off a really bad odor to them but not humans, you can try spraying this under your bed or if your pet is afraid of a certain object you can always put that under there. also does she have a crate? If so that should be her first place to run when she's scared because a dog feels safest in its crate especially if you make it homey and put a blanket and some familiar safe objects and there with her. good luck