How do I get my dog to quit following me everywhere?

This is becoming a safety issue. I'm nearly tripping over her every two minutes. I try and be mean to her but that make me sad. She just likes me soooooo much cause I am the only one in her life who has ever been nice to her.yellow lab

This is becoming a safety issue. I'm nearly tripping over her every two minutes. I try and be mean to her but that make me sad. She just likes me soooooo much cause I am the only one in her life who has ever been nice to her.yellow lab...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to quit following me everywhere?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog to quit following me everywhere?

How do I get my dog to quit following me everywhere? Other Pet Discussions
      This is becoming a safety issue. I'm nearly tripping over her every two minutes. I try and be mean to her but that make me sad. She just likes me soooooo much cause I am the only one in her life who has ever been nice to her.yellow lab

How do I get my dog to quit following me everywhere? Other Pet Discussions
    • I have a yellow lab, and she does the same thing with me. She is obviously very attached to you and loves you very much. Please do not discourage her from wanting to be close to you and showing her affection. You should be happy that she wants to be with you all the time. It just means that you have to careful not to trip over her, if she gets too close.

• Good question. I have the same problem with my dog everyone laughs when they come round cos even when i go to make a cup of tea he follows me and sits and waits, it's madness i don't know what you can do tho i just let him follow im kinda used to it now in fact i think i would kinda miss it

• Taught my dog to stay on my right side always and after that no tripping. She just loves you and wants to go where you go. It takes a few days but dogs want to make you happy so she will learn fast.

• If she's gonna follow you anyway... try teaching her to "heel" on one side, that way you know where she is... and after she's got that down, have her sit whenever you stop.

• A technique that the vet I used to work for suggested to an older woman to use a tube (the kind big wrapping paper is on) and hold it away from her near her feet, so to make a physical barrier. This let her dog know what was an acceptable distance. It was not used to beat or hit the dog in anyway. But like you, it was a safety issue as her dog was constantly underfoot.

• give your dog a toy or something to chew on when you are going to be up moving around. Or have you tried training her to sit and stay. Then just make her stay in one place or one room. My dog follows me too but I just try not to step on him. One time he ran in front of me and i kicked him on accident and he slid across the kitchen floor. It was funny.

• Hello. There are a few things that every dog owner should know but most are clueless about. Simple and effective training methods that will benefit the both of you as long as you remain persistantly consistant. In order for most dogs to get the message , you have got to remind them many times throughout the day. Not forever but until the dog fully understands what you would like . Most dogs want to please their masters so badly that they begin to act like a "spaz". The continual reminders as well as ( and this is a MUST ) the enormous praise you show if they follow your command . First- do not allow your dog to walk you when it is actually the other way around. If the dog gets ahead and starts pulling you , " Snap " the leash back towards you as you stop walking. Follow this with a stern " NO ! " The dog should always be walked on the same side and the left side of you is the most effective side. You may find yourself looking a bit foolish as you stop ten times in a few hundred yards to scold your dog but I promise you it will not last forever. If the dog simply refuses to obey then cut the walk short and return home. You probably have a specific route where you walk the dog if not make one. This is not only exercise (1/4 -1/2 mile ) , and relief for the dog but it is also a " fun time ". When the walks are shortened along with the negative talk you have with her the entire way home , evidentually sinks in and the dog obeys. A successful walk and many " good girls" will become the goal the dog seeks to accomplish. Doing good in this fashion is also reason for a treat. Pick something that the dog really loves and ONLY give it for good behavior . As for disapline , you must have a disciplinary proceedure that you follow persistantly. I used the " Bad boy " and secured him ( by leash ) just out of the immediate area where I relaxed or cooked or bathed...etc. If you put the dog out of view then you will have a new set of problems . The bark > As long as the dog can see you , she shouldn't bark to get your attention but she won't enjoy her " time out ". You should adopt a simple yet effective diologue with your dog for any traing to be effective.Good command words ( and easy for the dog to understand...as long as your word diction is clear and the emphesis place on action syllables. [ sorry Mrs. Mathis if thats the wrong english terminology ] What I mean is : for sit...say " SI-TTT !with a big "T". For stop , use the "P"....etc. No is going to be the most effective in the beginning and in your case , I recommend you begin immediately. This is what I'd do if I were you and in response to your question :As soon as she begins following , turn and as you point ,look directly into her eyes and loudly exclaim "NO ! ". Without changing your expression , turn and walk away. If she follows , repeat the discipline. If she continues to follow and after you have chastized her for disobeying go into disciplinary action and get the leash. Do not look in the direction of the dog and only leave her there until you have finished the specific task you were on or about 10 minutes. Say nothing and don't pat the dogs head as you remove the leash. She will definately follow you at this point and so you should lead her directly to a place where you want her to remain .Clearly and boldly exclain to her , "STAY ! " ( on this command , the emphesis should be placed on the " ST " ) and then simply walk away. She may follow and if so you MUST repeat the proceedure again and in the exact manner as before .You may be forced to repeat it many times but if you want success then your will has got to be stronger than that of your pets.Evidentually , she will tire of the lack of affection and perhaps by accident , will do what you have commanded and when this occurs , you must give great praise along with a treat. If , however , she re-starts the annoyance after the " Good Girls", DO NOT FALTER . Go back to the beginning and repeat the training method .She will pass the lesson in due time . Good Luck .

• My wife and I have 2 Siberian Huskies and we have the same problem. Our dogs follow us around constantly and we just thought it was because they were extremely nosy and wanted to see what was going on. We have tripped over them a couple of times and have accidentally stepped on their paws more times than I can count. They are also fond on lying around on the floor inside the house, and absolutely WILL NOT move out of the way for us - they just assume that we will walk around them or step over them, which we do. I don't know which is worse - being followed around by them, or constantly having to step over them. We have kind of resigned ourselves to the fact that this is just the way they are, although I like the idea someone suggested about creating a physical barrier using the cardboard tubes that wrapping paper comes on.