What is normal when introducing two male guinea pigs around the same age?

I have had my guinea pig for two months and just got a new one. They are about the same age, when i first introduced them (outside of the cage) they started spraying like crazy and the new one keeps trying to get on top of my old one. They sniff each…

I have had my guinea pig for two months and just got a new one. They are about the same age, when i first introduced them (outside of the cage) they started spraying like crazy and the new one keeps trying to get on top of my old one. They sniff each…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is normal when introducing two male guinea pigs around the same age?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is normal when introducing two male guinea pigs around the same age?

What is normal when introducing two male guinea pigs around the same age? Other Pet Discussions
      I have had my guinea pig for two months and just got a new one. They are about the same age, when i first introduced them (outside of the cage) they started spraying like crazy and the new one keeps trying to get on top of my old one. They sniff each others butts, which i assume is normal, but then yogi (my old one) jumps and tries to get away. Are they going to be okay in the same cage? Please help! I don't want one of them hurt.

What is normal when introducing two male guinea pigs around the same age? Other Pet Discussions
    • Mounting is fine, sniffing each other and jumping is fine. Just normal and safe guinea pig behaviour, saying hi and stuff. :D You don't have to worry unless they're chattering a lot, yawning, snorting or nipping each other. You don't have to separate unless they're attacking and drawing blood or about to.Have a read through for safe behaviours, things to watch for and when to remove: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htmBasically, as long as they aren't drawing blood and your cage is big enough for 2 guinea pigs (7.5sq ft minimum, ideally 10.5sq ft) they'll probably be fine together. :) Good luck with them.

• Alright. First off it is all normal I have a guinea pig who was about 2 months old when I got him a new friend who was only around 2 weeks. When I bought Tweak home (the new one) Marley ( my first guinea pig) started to wheek very loudly but when i put them on the floor outside the cage they were perfectly fine but Marley tried to take dominance so he would try to hump Tweak a lot and the natural reaction is for Tweak to just run away and try to hide. And the butt sniffing is normal to even now Marley still sniffs Tweaks butt here and there. Just when you put the new guinea pig in the cage be sure to clean it and wash it so the scent of yogi isnt there and put the new one in first. But keep an eye out in case they do fight if they do be careful to stop them they have really strong teeth. My two guinea pigs got along fine :) just a lot of domince sounds were happening all day long lol. hope this helped ! :)