How can I keep my cat from pooping on my carpet?

We moved a few months ago, so now he is home alone when I am at work. I clean his potty box each day, but when I leave during the day he poops on the carpet, right next to his potty box. His potty box is large enough, and he can get in and out of it…

We moved a few months ago, so now he is home alone when I am at work. I clean his potty box each day, but when I leave during the day he poops on the carpet, right next to his potty box. His potty box is large enough, and he can get in and out of it…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I keep my cat from pooping on my carpet?...

• How can I keep my cat from pooping on my carpet?

How can I keep my cat from pooping on my carpet? Other Pet Discussions
      We moved a few months ago, so now he is home alone when I am at work. I clean his potty box each day, but when I leave during the day he poops on the carpet, right next to his potty box. His potty box is large enough, and he can get in and out of it just fine. Getting another cat to keep him company isn't an option right now. Someone told me to rub his nose in it to keep him from doing it, but that doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How can I keep my cat from pooping on my carpet? Other Pet Discussions
    • It could be a stress issue or just trying to get attention. There could be health issues as well. If it doesn't change in a few days I would take the kitty in to see the vet.

• this is a sign that your cat isn't happy with your litter or litter box. a good web site is http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/housesoiling/index.htmlsee if they have any tips or talk with your vet

• We were given a beautiful de-clawed persian by our vet when our own cat died. After a year of trying to box train him, the vet told us the problem. The cat he gave us was Over bred (incest, used by breeders to obtain desired traits).The vet said the cat was mentally retarded from all the in-breeding.We ended up letting him be an out-door, porch catch.The cat would drool when it purred too.

• See your vet or at least call one on the phone and see what they say... Could be a lot of things that your vet will help you figure out... For instance have you changed the style of litter box recently (say from uncovered to covered), have you changed litters lately (maybe from clay to crystals or something like that)? Do you have any other animals in the house? A dog maybe? In general cats are at their most vulnerable (to attack) while using the toilet and prefer a covered box for security... If you just started using an automated litter box unplug it for a week and let the cat use it the old fashioned way then try to acclimate him to it moving around on it's own. Finally try a bigger litter box, some cats wont mess with it if they're feeling cramped... I've had a cat do that carpet thing before and I just had to put a really cheap little litter (think dollar store or cardboard flat) pan in every room of the house until he got the hang of it and then slowly started taking the pans away until there was only one... My best advice though is to call the vet... Kerry

• Do not rub his nose in it he's not a dog!!!!I have 5 of the buggars as well as up to 3 foster cats in my house at a time. (big house thank God). Anyway I have dealt with this before as well as cats urinating in my bed!!!!!!!!! that's bad... Buy some Feraway spray or the plug in room stuff-----I dunno why but it calmes them and stops the weird behavior. Let me know how it works for you.allison -- member N.J S.A.V.E rescue [email protected].