I just spent a lot of money on medication for my cats ????

It goes in their food and it turns out that neither one of them will eat it. What do you suggest I do to get them to eat this medication that they need. I put it in a can of tuna which they both love, but oh no, there it sits not eaten. HELP PLEASE

It goes in their food and it turns out that neither one of them will eat it. What do you suggest I do to get them to eat this medication that they need. I put it in a can of tuna which they both love, but oh no, there it sits not eaten. HELP PLEASE...
    Other Pet Discussions : I just spent a lot of money on medication for my cats ????...

• I just spent a lot of money on medication for my cats ????

I just spent a lot of money on medication for my cats ???? Other Pet Discussions
      It goes in their food and it turns out that neither one of them will eat it. What do you suggest I do to get them to eat this medication that they need. I put it in a can of tuna which they both love, but oh no, there it sits not eaten. HELP PLEASE

I just spent a lot of money on medication for my cats ???? Other Pet Discussions
    • My dog Tommy hates taking his heartworm pill. So, we put it in some meat or cheese and you can let them separate it. Sometimes we give it to him and call my other dog Cody. Tommy starts to get jealous and he starts to eat it. I don't know if this will work but give it a try.

• This is a big problem with medications that mix in with the food. Cats have a very keen sense of smell, and it sounds like your cats KNOW there's something in that tuna, lol.Hunger - don't give pets any food before the tablet is due. If the animal has constant access to food, then remove it a couple of hours before the medication is due. A hungry animal is more likely to eat food even if they can taste the tablet.MedicinesMedicines that don't need to be given on an empty stomach can be mixed in food. However if the pet will not eat the food then the only option left is a more direct approach.The Direct ApproachThe pet should be approached from the side. On large dogs, the upper jaw should be grasped just behind the level of the canine teeth and the head pulled upwards until the mouth falls open. Don't put fingers directly into the mouth - by using the lips to protect the fingers the dog is less likely to bite down, as doing so will mean biting their own lips. With cats and smaller dogs, tip the head back by grasping the cheekbones (zygomatic arches) and tipping the head backwards until the mouth opens slightly. A finger of the right hand can be used to press down on the lower incisor teeth to open the mouth. The tablets are placed at the back of the tongue, or dropped into the back of the mouth and the jaw is allowed to close. Keep the mouth shut until the animal has swallowed. Gentle stroking of the throat area can encourage the pet to swallow. Dribbling a small amount of water into the side of the mouth will also stimulate swallowing. The pet should be watched closely after administration to ensure they do not regurgitate the treatment, shake it out of their mouth or flick it out with their tongue.Medicines can be given into the side of the mouth. There is a natural gap between the lower cheek teeth. Raise the pets head by stroking under the chin and tilting upwards. Lift the lip and gently insert the syringe tip or nozzle into the gap and slowly dribble the medicine in. Squirting fast can cause the animal to inhale the liquid causing pneumonia in severe cases. By keeping the syringe at a 90° angle to the length of the muzzle, then the liquid will dribble over the back of the tongue stimulating the swallowing reflex rather than down the throat with a risk of inhalation.RestraintWith larger dogs, it is easier to have them in a sitting position. With cats and small dogs, it is often easier to lift them onto a table, or do it while they are quite relaxed, perhaps sitting on a chair.If a cat struggles a lot or tries to scratch it may be necessary to wrap it in a towel. This involves placing the cat on a large towel and pulling it up around the neck, like a bib, and over the back, making sure all four feet are included. This still allows access to the mouth, ears and eyes. Since I don't know exactly what kind of medicine this is, I don't know if this will help you or not. In any case, I'd suggest calling your vet for help and suggestions.

• is it in pill form?? If so u need to be hard about this. Hold the cat in the crook of your arm with one hand, open the mouth and drop it to the back of the throat as quickly as possilbe. Then rub his throat until he swallows. He wont like it so u have to do it quickly and firmly. This is how a vet would administer a pill. Tough love

• I wish you had been more specific about what the medication was for and what it was, pill or liquid etc.The most common medication given cats is amoxicillin or Clavomox which is in liquid form and given with a dropper. It is not an expensive medication.Medication for hyperthyroidism is more expensive and long-term. Insulin (for diabetes) is expensive and given with an injection.I am curious about this and wish you would email me at [email protected] and let me know.Katrina has given you excellent instructions about getting the meds into your cat. It can be a b**** as I am here to testify. I have been given a homeopathic pill to my 22 yr old cat for her arthritis. It is a devil to give -- about the size of a grain of sand, not crushable or dissoluble in water. I have one good infected finger bite for my efforts this week and I am getting better in my technique, the last two nights I have managed without the teeth clamping down on my finger.

• IS it liquid or a pill? If it's a pill, you are in luck. Greenies makes Feline Pill Pockets, available at pet stores. You put the pill in the little food pocket, and they eat the whole thing. Hopefully. It sounds like this medicine has a strong odor.Liquid, however, is always an ordeal, and I hope you are coordinated :) Judging from their reaction, they're already on to you trying to disguise it. Sooo, Mom, you've got to do the tough love. Get a plastic syringe, like you would use to feed babies with, fill it to the proper dosage, and then,,,here's the hard part if you live alone and yes, I know this sounds like a bad joke....gripping the feline firmly (Without crushing it), insert the syringe into the side of its mouth, near the rear, and squirt easily. Give it a chance to swallow. Here at our shelter, we wrap our kits or our arms in a towel, depending on the kit. You can get scratched up from a struggling kit, but once they realize they have no choice, and want to get that nasty stuff out of their mouth, they stop struggling and commence to swallowing, with a lot of irritated smacking going on, too. This is obviously a lot easier if you have a friend to help.This isn't mean. You're the mom, they're the cats, and they need their medicine. Until a rocket scientist comes along and develops flounder-flavored medicine for cats, this is what we have to do. :-)Good luck to you.

• What you need to do is hold your cat on a table on on your lap and prop thier head upwards, then open their mouth w/ one hand and push a pill dipped in butter (so it slides easy and it will taste good for the cat) and push it into her throat. then rub her neck downwards to help it go down. It helps if you have someone else hold him/her.Give them a treat afterwards. perhaps the tuna they love so much.