Is my cat underweight?

She's been through a lot of changes, especially having to do with moving, and puppies and dogs coming in and out of the house. She started out a healthy weight, gained a lot when we moved the first time, and now it seems like she weighs nothing.She's a…

Is my cat underweight?

She's been through a lot of changes, especially having to do with moving, and puppies and dogs coming in and out of the house. She started out a healthy weight, gained a lot when we moved the first time, and now it seems like she weighs nothing.She's a…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Is my cat underweight?...

• Is my cat underweight?

Is my cat underweight? Other Pet Discussions
      She's been through a lot of changes, especially having to do with moving, and puppies and dogs coming in and out of the house. She started out a healthy weight, gained a lot when we moved the first time, and now it seems like she weighs nothing.She's a grey tabby, and she's about 8 or 9 years old maximum. She's about 8 or 9 lbs, and her stomach has gotten so small that there's tons of excess skin drooping from her sides. Her ribs and spine still feel like they have some fat there, but I'm worried that she may need to gain weight.Also, is it normal for a cat to have a lot of excess saliva? She's been drooling lately.

Is my cat underweight?

Is my cat underweight? Other Pet Discussions
    • Eight or nine pounds is really a good weight for most female cats. I expect the drooling might be an indication of gum or tooth problems. You can look in her mouth - when things are not right in there it is usually pretty obvious. She could have a tooth abcess though and that would not be visible to you.She needs to be checked by a vet to determine the status of her health - dental and physical.

• I have a cat, she is 17 years old. She is very thin and she use to be a fat cat. If you are feeding her dry cat food it may have gotten harder for her to chew so try switching to wet cat food. Remember when cats get older they tend to sleep more than they eat.

• First thing's first, take your cat to the vet as there may be something wrong that has nothing to do with her unusual circumstances.Has she had her shots? Is she indoors all the time or does she go outside for a while then return to the indoors?A puppy or strange dog or other animal may have brought in a disease or germ that is attacking her system. Only a vet can tell you for sure.Has she been spayed? This may also have something to do with her condition.Is she alert and "talking" to you or does she lay around and appear listless?Have you done a sudden change in her diet? She may not like the food.I realize these are just more questions, but without more information there isn't a way to know for sure.Your best bet is to take her to the vet.Good luck!

• drooling could be from dental or gum disorders and this could also be one reason why she may be losing weight. A cat who isn't eating like they used to could be from the stress of changes in the home, but also failing health or illness can be likely causes too. It's always best to play it safe and take the cat to the vet to catch it early enough before it could be too late.