What are the benefits of working with dogs as a veterinarian?

Also, what the non-benefits of having dogs as your specialty as a veterinarian? Also, what'a the salary? Any colleges you reccomend I go to so I can fulfill my dream of being a veterinarian who specializes on dogs? Anything you know will help.And what if…

Also, what the non-benefits of having dogs as your specialty as a veterinarian? Also, what'a the salary? Any colleges you reccomend I go to so I can fulfill my dream of being a veterinarian who specializes on dogs? Anything you know will help.And what if…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the benefits of working with dogs as a veterinarian?...

• What are the benefits of working with dogs as a veterinarian?

What are the benefits of working with dogs as a veterinarian? General Dog Discussions
      Also, what the non-benefits of having dogs as your specialty as a veterinarian? Also, what'a the salary? Any colleges you reccomend I go to so I can fulfill my dream of being a veterinarian who specializes on dogs? Anything you know will help.And what if you don't neccassarily want to operate surgery on them, instead you'd just want to always be around a lot of dogs that you can train, nurture, heal, and make them overall happy. I don't want to deal with the sad and goriness of being a veterinarian who works in a lab, I want to make them happier, and always see dogs that love to be around me. I can raise them on a big plot of land and stuff. How can I make this happen while getting a lot of money while being around dogs all the time so I can afford to make them happy?

What are the benefits of working with dogs as a veterinarian? General Dog Discussions
    • It doesn't sound like you want to be a veterinarian at all. Perhaps a job with animal welfare would suit better although not so well paid. To be a veterinarian you need to be highly qualified with all science subjects then do 5-6 years university work. That's if you get in as the selection procedure is really tough. The training will cover all animals, not just dogs and there are very few practices that will only deal with dogs and you will be expected to operate.I think you need to sit down and actually think about what you really want to do.

• Instead of looking at the benefits also look at the bad side, having to put pets to sleep, seeing animals in horrific condition, having careless owners come and demand a healthy puppy be put to sleep because it dug a hole or wont stop pooping inside. Maybe look at a different career path and volunteer some time at the local animal shelter or for a rescue service. I'm sure being a vet would be very rewarding when you see a sick dog get well again, but that would only be a very small part of a vets career. It takes a very special person to be able to become a vet.