My dogs anal is leaking a light brown colored liquid?

Doesnt smell bad, in fact it smells like oil and you cant smell anything until youre nose is right up on it but its staining everything she sits on.I only feed her dog food but I do let her run outside to use the bathroom. I was first concerned that…

Doesnt smell bad, in fact it smells like oil and you cant smell anything until youre nose is right up on it but its staining everything she sits on.I only feed her dog food but I do let her run outside to use the bathroom. I was first concerned that…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dogs anal is leaking a light brown colored liquid?...

• My dogs anal is leaking a light brown colored liquid?

My dogs anal is leaking a light brown colored liquid? General Dog Discussions
      Doesnt smell bad, in fact it smells like oil and you cant smell anything until youre nose is right up on it but its staining everything she sits on.I only feed her dog food but I do let her run outside to use the bathroom. I was first concerned that someone may have tried to poison her but shes not acting any different than normal. I had to lock her her up in a kennel because everywhere she sits, it leaves a stain.

My dogs anal is leaking a light brown colored liquid? General Dog Discussions
    • okkies sound like your dogs annal glands are full although that ussually smells. you can get your groomer, vet or vet nurse to expell it for you or you can do it yourself. the vet will be the most expensive costing a vet consultation fee although if its not annal glads he will be there to check it out. a groomer does it for about $10 and its super quick. or you can try by squeezing the 2 pea sized annal glands around the anus (area of 2oclock and 11 oclock) with a tissue but you must do this hard and dog ay be in a little discomfort. there are many website that go through it so check them out. but like i said if its not that see a vet if it keeps up.

• I would normally say anal glands or liquid-y bowel, but if it doesn't smell bad that's odd to me. Everything I remember about anal glands is that it smells horrid and sucks to get it on clothes. If you're very concerned, I would see a Vet, but I'm not too worried medically at the moment.Happen to feed her anything containing Olestra recently? It's a chemically modified fat that was once used in potato chips, as the body can't absorb it. But, it ends up coming out the same as it came in, and thus comes 'anal leakage.'

• Yes, sounds like her anal glands need to be expressed. They secrete an oil substance and this is why dogs often rub their butts on the floor at different times. The vet can do this, you can learn to do this yourself, or some groomers do it.

• Is the dog acting normally, is she healthy - eating and drinking as usual? Has she possibly eaten something in the yard or on a walk that has disagreed with her? Although the lack of smell is a bit strange it does sound like leaking anal sacs. Has she been 'scooting' or rubbing her bum on the carpet or grass? They may be itchy or even infected. Some people feel that these sacs should be emptied on a routine basis but by manually emptying a healthy sac you may cause swelling and damage which can lead to impaction. You are better off trying to prevent the problem rather than fixing it later.Try a few meals of raw meaty bones and see if this fixes the problem. The smaller, firmer poop requires more pushing and this helps the sacs to clear naturally.