What dog food is best to feed my dog?

We just adopted a new dog. She is a 40 pound lab/boxer mix. With the new recall on all these pet foods, I have no idea which kind would be best to feed her. Please help!!

What dog food is best to feed my dog?

We just adopted a new dog. She is a 40 pound lab/boxer mix. With the new recall on all these pet foods, I have no idea which kind would be best to feed her. Please help!!...
    General Dog Discussions : What dog food is best to feed my dog?...

• I used to feed my dog Science Diet (mostly because that's what the shelter I rescued him from used). He didn't really like it and I wound up having to add a bit of wet food to get him to eat it. I also asked the same question here. After MUCH research, I disovered this (see below) from my doggie day care. It was very helpful and somewhat surprising.A Healthy Dog Starts with the Right Food! I received a number of requests from people to resend the information from Whole Dog Journal about the best and worst foods for your dogs. Since I originally posted, I received the next issue which covered the 2007 top approved wet dog foods. So here are some of their top picks!Some of the WDJ's Approved Dry Foods for your dog: California Natural Canidae Eagle Holistic Select Innova Natural Balance Newman's Own Pinnacle Prairie Wellness Wysong (This is what we use for treats in our daycare!) Some of the WDJ's Approved Wet Foods for your dog:Avo-Derm Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Drs. Foster and Smith Innova Evo Lick Your Chops Merrick Organix Prairie Solid Gold Spot's StewSome of the foods WDJ would NOT recommend: Beneful (By Purina) Iams Max Adult (by Nutro) Natural Choice Adult Lamb and Rice (by Nutro) Nature's Recipe "Breed Specific" Formulas Pedigree Purina Dog Chow Purina OneTotal Nutrition Science Diet Science Diet's "Nature's Best with Real Beef Adult Dog Food"Click here to Purchase the Complete Review!http://whole-dog-journal.com/issues/10_2/features/Dog_Food_Review_15897-1.htmlIt basically states to look for whole foods, make sure the first few ingredients are meat (not meat by-products) and that wet food actually uses higher quality ingredients. I've been feeding my dog a cup of dry (Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul) and a can of Avoderm. He LOVES it and he's been quite energetic since. The idea that dry dog food is best is wrong. Concerns were for the teeth, but as long as you give your dog something to clean his teeth (dry food mix, tartar removing treat, etc) he'll be fine.Hope that helps. One note on the link..you have to register for a fee to see the full article.

• Hi!You definitely don't want to feed anything that has wheat gluten in it. I make my own dog, cat, and bird food, but when I run out, or am lazy, I use Nutro Ultra Holistic for the dogs. Good luck finding a good food out there. I big time recommend making your own if at all possible, then you know exactly what's in it. Suzy

• Avoid brands like eukanuba,iam's,science diet,purina,pedigree etc as they are extremly unhealthy for dogs. they are full of by-products,fillers (hooves,feathers etc) the best way to go is either the b.a.r.f diet or buy holisitc foods that have all dont have all the un-needed or un-healthy crap in it.eg. natural balance,solidgold,timber wolf. etc ect

• I would definately reccomend any brand from Natura http://www.naturapet.com/ They make Innova,Evo,California Natural, Healthwise, Karma and MotherNature. Look into these and see which one would best suit your Dogs Needs. Id like to add that they are a little more pricey but well worth your pets health. I feed My 2 Min Pins California Natural and they are doing so much better! More Energy,*Shiny Coats and all. I used to feed my dogs brands like science diet, Purina and Iams when I didnt know better, Please dont feed your dogs these cheap foods, they are no good. DO SOME RESEARCH and you will see. P.S. You will not find these brands at the PetSmart, Supermarkets or Wal- Mart, you can find a store near you on there website here http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/ simply enter your zipcode. Hope this Helps!

• My first rule of thumb is if it's found in a grocery store, it's not good enough to feed your dog. Second rule of thumb-no by products, no corn, no wheat. Third rule of thumb-the first ingredient should ALWAYS be a meat source, preferably "meal"-i.e-chicken meal is a better source of proten than just chicken. A dog food should never use any preservatives except for Vitamin E/natural preservatives (NO BHT! BAD BAD BAD!). Science Diet is a horrible food, but vets sell it because SD gives them a big hand out to do so. It's terrible. I also feel that most vet's do NOT know much about dog foods, and don't think that most are the best source of info. My vet recommended Science Diet or Purina, which are AWFUL dog foods that I would NEVER feed my dog! They do not learn much about dog food diet in vet school, and many school's are in the pocket of the dog food industry. Raw/BARF (bones and raw food or biologically appropriate raw food) is the best you can feed your dog, but do your research first, and make sure you are ready for the commitment. Some good dog foods....Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Innova, Natural Balance, Fromm's, Wellness, Premium Edge, Life's Abundance, Nature's Variety, Canidae. They are a bit more expensive than grocery store brands but 1) you have to feed less, because it is richer, healthier, and have less fillers and 2) you will have a healthier dog, which can potentially save thousands of dollars in vet bills.Most important thing is to check and research every ingredient, make sure you know what your dog is eating.

• When you think about it, what does your dog need from its food in order to be healthy?Today our pets have a wide variety to meet their tastes and needs and we have our choice of what kind of food we can choose to feed them. Despite the variety, pet foods usually fall into three major categories. These categories are: Grocery store foods, these types of dog and pet foods are usually found in grocery stores and mass marketed retailers and can contain lower quality, less expensive ingredients. The second category is "premium dog foods," which can also be found in grocery's stores but are also found in pet stores and through your local veterinarian's office. These types of foods are usually made from some higher quality ingredients and are usually made evident by the expense of the food. Some of these pet foods though can contain lower quality ingredients that you aren't aware of. The third and final category is homemade dog food.More and more people are beginning to make their dog's food at home rather than buying commercial formulas. Homemade dog food doesn't contain any substances that could possibly be harmful to your dog's health such as artificial coloring and artificial flavors.Another reason to make homemade dog food is the preservatives added to the commercial dog food. Homemade dog food has the benefit of optimum freshness without preservatives.There are dogs that would greatly benefit from a homemade diet. Some dogs who suffer from allergies that cause severe itching may find relief once switched from commercial dog food to a homemade diet.Processed dog food is a relatively new product and scientists don't fully understand the differences between commercial food and a diet of fresh food. There may be problems occurring in a dog's health because he is being given food that has had the nutrients cooked out of it and then sprayed back on.Would you like to prolong the quality and length of your dog's life by 135%?You should keep your dog healthy by homemade dog food.http://ezinearticles.com/?Keep-Your-Dog-Healthy-By-Homemade-Dog-Food-Recipe&id=482336