why does my doberman like to go after and bite our feet and our toes?

i know he is teething, but is there anything that i can do to stop our dog from biting our feet and toes? plus, until i get my dog to the vet tomorrow, if my dog has 'worms' and he licks or kisses us, can we get sick? Does anyone also know how well vpi…

i know he is teething, but is there anything that i can do to stop our dog from biting our feet and toes? plus, until i get my dog to the vet tomorrow, if my dog has 'worms' and he licks or kisses us, can we get sick? Does anyone also know how well vpi…...
    General Dog Discussions : why does my doberman like to go after and bite our feet and our toes?...

• why does my doberman like to go after and bite our feet and our toes?

why does my doberman like to go after and bite our feet and our toes? General Dog Discussions
      i know he is teething, but is there anything that i can do to stop our dog from biting our feet and toes? plus, until i get my dog to the vet tomorrow, if my dog has 'worms' and he licks or kisses us, can we get sick? Does anyone also know how well vpi pet insurance really is?

why does my doberman like to go after and bite our feet and our toes? General Dog Discussions
    • To stop the biting? Grab the pup by the scruff of the neck (Like you are 'biting' him back), look him straight in the eyes, and say "no" in a deep, rumbling voice. He will get the hint immediately that his teeth are NEVER allowed to make contact with human skin. Have you ever seen an adult canine correct a pup? You need to mimic that, this will help the pup to understand much better than ignoring him, shoving a toy in his mouth, etc..You will not catch any worms from this pup if that is what you are thinking, but i personally wouldn't allow a dog to lick my face.Pet insurance? It is useless. Don't waste your money, it barely covers anything.

• As no two dogs learn in the way, have the same temperament, or necessarily motivated by the same thing, I use whatever works with the individual puppy I am working with to achieve my training goals.Puppy nipping is nailed within days of its arriving home, as is hanging off clothing, but accidentally catching a finger not the toy is ignored [not a real bite].It is important to bear in mind with the Dobermann that by nature it typically is a HIGH drive breed. That means if you yelp it is likely to be counterproductive & stimulate the pup to bite harder when playing what it perceives to be a game.Redirection with a treat *may* work on less wilful, more tractable, lower drive pup, but that is atypical for the breed. What I have found consistently works is showing the pup authority in everything you do with it from day one, so it learns what behavior is deemed to be acceptable in a human household.I attach a long lead to its collar, & step in with a firm “leave” before its bites or grabs clothing. If the pup nips, then a quick snap on the lead which is a correction not a punishment, redirects its attention back to me. It is not inconsistent to mark the behavior you want, the pup to stop nipping, with a treat or praise.My Dobermanns are trained be clear that as the leader who ranks above them in the household I OWN everything, nothing belongs to the then & I make all the decisions, including the behaviors I deem to be acceptable. That is what has always worked for me & mine.If you have recently purchased the Dobermann pup, it should have been treated for worms by the breeder. If not advised when the pup should be next treated contact the breeder.With regard to pet insurance both whether or not it is worth it depends on the exclusion in the policy, the price & how comprehensive the cover it. Dilated cardiomyopathy, hypothyroidism, hip dysplasia, Von Willebrands & cancer are conditions that can affect the breed, so I prefer to err on the side of caution & purchase comprehensive cover for life pet insurance.