My dog is constantly whining and carrying a toy in her mouth?

My husband and I left for a trip two weeks ago without our dog and once we got home she ran into the guest bedroom and laid in the corner, she is still doing this at least once a day. This is very unusual for her, as she rarely goes into that room.…

My husband and I left for a trip two weeks ago without our dog and once we got home she ran into the guest bedroom and laid in the corner, she is still doing this at least once a day. This is very unusual for her, as she rarely goes into that room.…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is constantly whining and carrying a toy in her mouth?...

• My dog is constantly whining and carrying a toy in her mouth?

My dog is constantly whining and carrying a toy in her mouth? General Dog Discussions
      My husband and I left for a trip two weeks ago without our dog and once we got home she ran into the guest bedroom and laid in the corner, she is still doing this at least once a day. This is very unusual for her, as she rarely goes into that room. Nothing is buried in there or under the bed by our dog. She does have some seperation anxiety when we leave her at our parents house. She is now running around carrying a dog toy and whining constantly. She is not trying to nurse the toy as in a false pregnancy but she has licked the toy and seems protective of it, but she is not making a nest or shredding blankets etc. I have no idea why she is acting like this does anyone have any insight? thanks..we are going to be taking her to the vet soon I just wondered if anyone had experienced this. My dog is a female black lab 2 yrs old and is not spayed. We were going to breed her but she is rather small for a lab so we are not going to breed her and will spay her soon.

My dog is constantly whining and carrying a toy in her mouth? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't know much about that but all I know is that some dogs that are supposed to be large are small is because they were not much fed and were away from their mothers earlier than 3 months. This is my answer, I know it because that I'm a future veterinarian.

• My 1 year old pug/beagle does the same thing when she has a 'high prize' item such as a bone or pigs ear. In her case, I have found that she is looking for a place to 'bury' her special item, especially in a place that someone else can't get it. She might have become attached to the toy while you were gone and may think it is something worth hiding and is just seeking a special spot.

• Is this her favorite toy she is carrying around? Did you let her take the toy to the sitters with her? It sounds to me she is anxious that you are going to leave her again. I have a dog that carries around his "lovey" after we return from a trip. I think it is his way of making sure it doesn't get left behind if we leave again. I would spend a lot of quality time with your dog to ease her fears make sure she knows how much you love her..... This isn't something a vet can fix..... it is emotional. Good Luck.

• Our dog will carry her squeaky toys around and whine until she's found a spot to safely hide them. I think what may have happened is that during the time she was separated from you, she might have gotten enough anxiety to make her come up with her own substitute. If she keeps going to a remote spot in the guest bedroom, that could be something like her den and the toy can be a puppy substitute.I don't really know an immediate cure for this kind of behavior, but lots of attention and playing with her will certainly help.The best thing in my experience to cure separation anxiety - get her a playmate. If your household can cope with it, a second, maybe smaller dog may help a lot. It'll take her focus off you and give her company while you aren't home. If you adopt a dog, the adoption center might even let you keep a new animal for a tryout period to see how it gets along with your lab.I found my dog on Petfinder.com - would recommend it to anybody.Good luck!

• She is probably protesting about you leaving her for so long and has become attached to her toy.My dog recently spent one night away from me and when i got her back she cried and whined for almost 2 days.I think you just have to give her alot of love and attention and hopefully she'll stop after a while.Taking her to the vet is a good idea too just so you can be sure that there is nothing physically wrong with her.Good Luck!

• my dog does the same thing when she gets a new toy, its out of excitment. i think they cant decide whether they want to play with it or bury it/hide it or what. if she was upset about the fact you were gone, this might just be her acting out her excitment that your back and showing anxiety