How much does your vet charge for cyclosporin eye drops for dry eyes?

My 14 year old lowchen dog has dry eyes for last 4 years. Vet charges me £40 for a very small bottle of their own Cyclosporin drops - says that branded drops cost nearly twice this. I also have to pay £40 for an examination each time I get the…

My 14 year old lowchen dog has dry eyes for last 4 years. Vet charges me £40 for a very small bottle of their own Cyclosporin drops - says that branded drops cost nearly twice this. I also have to pay £40 for an examination each time I get the…...
    General Dog Discussions : How much does your vet charge for cyclosporin eye drops for dry eyes?...

• How much does your vet charge for cyclosporin eye drops for dry eyes?

How much does your vet charge for cyclosporin eye drops for dry eyes? General Dog Discussions
      My 14 year old lowchen dog has dry eyes for last 4 years. Vet charges me £40 for a very small bottle of their own Cyclosporin drops - says that branded drops cost nearly twice this. I also have to pay £40 for an examination each time I get the drops as he will only provide drops after he has examined her. (Yes I know it is a restricted drug and he has to do this.) I have seen it available online (Canadian Pharmacy) or with prescription here, but it doesn't look like it would save me much as vet charges for prescription (if he will give me one anyway) are £20 plus VAT. I'm thinking of going to another vet as I haven't been impressed by their professionalism, and 5 other people I have spoken to who used to use them before left the practice due to wrong drugs/wrong dose/lost blood tests etc. A new vet will charge at least £50 to have initial consultation then they might charge me £80 for the drops (they last 3 months) if they don't make their own version.For Information: Lowchen is called Little Lion Dog. They have prominent eyes like a King Charles Spaniel so get this dry eye syndrome. What does your vet charge for these drops? Have they helped? My little dog has quite poor eyesight now due to an injury from a bramble, but I use Lumecare eye gel to keep them from drying out as well as the Cyclosporin.Thanks for reading this.

How much does your vet charge for cyclosporin eye drops for dry eyes? General Dog Discussions
    • If you don't have faith in your vet, don't stay there. I can't believe your country allows a vet to charge for writing a prescription. Ridiculous.By using an antibiotic drop, your vet obviously is treating the eye for a bacterial conjunctivitis rather than simple "dry eye", as Cyclosporin is an antibiotic eye drop.This is an expensive drug and be very careful where you buy it. There are many sites out there promoting cheap prices on drugs that are either bogus (how would you know?) or contaminated.I would try to find a vet that doesn't charge so much and get the drug there. I left a vet clinic here in my hometown in the US because of the horrendous charges they were making for everything.