I am scared for my dog. She stumbles and seems to twitch when she gets up from laying down.?

My dog is now getting fairly old. She is around 11 years old. She is a golden retriever and she is always active. I have noticed that my dog has been stumbling and twitching whenever she gets up from sleeping or resting. Could someone please help me out.…

I am scared for my dog. She stumbles and seems to twitch when she gets up from laying down.?

My dog is now getting fairly old. She is around 11 years old. She is a golden retriever and she is always active. I have noticed that my dog has been stumbling and twitching whenever she gets up from sleeping or resting. Could someone please help me out.…...
    General Dog Discussions : I am scared for my dog. She stumbles and seems to twitch when she gets up from laying down.?...

• I am scared for my dog. She stumbles and seems to twitch when she gets up from laying down.?

I am scared for my dog. She stumbles and seems to twitch when she gets up from laying down.? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is now getting fairly old. She is around 11 years old. She is a golden retriever and she is always active. I have noticed that my dog has been stumbling and twitching whenever she gets up from sleeping or resting. Could someone please help me out. I really need to know whats wrong.

I am scared for my dog. She stumbles and seems to twitch when she gets up from laying down.? General Dog Discussions
    • She could be arthritic. Often, when dogs with arthritis first get up, they have problems balancing. You can get her on a good quality senior or large breed food. If you read the ingredients, a lot of them have glucosamine and chondroitin right in the food. It would definitely be worth talking to her vet about it at her next appointment. It might even be worth a call to see if they think she should be seen (it doesn't cost anything to call, explain what she's doing, and ask the question). They can tell you for sure if there's something wrong, or if she's just getting older.

• Have you had your vet examine her? Eleven is pretty old for a GRD: she needs an exam every 6 months plus blood work. Don't wait until your dog is past help. Seek veterinary care now. Stumbling is typically associated with neurologic problems. This could be anything from disk problems to cancer to something infectious like a tick bourne disease.