Would it be harmful to get my new dogs vaccines over again?

I am unable to obtain a copy of his records because the vaccine clinic won't release them to me from the previous owner. I obviously need records on his vaccines. Would it be okay to just take him to my regular vet and have his vaccines done over again?

I am unable to obtain a copy of his records because the vaccine clinic won't release them to me from the previous owner. I obviously need records on his vaccines. Would it be okay to just take him to my regular vet and have his vaccines done over again?...
    General Dog Discussions : Would it be harmful to get my new dogs vaccines over again?...

• Would it be harmful to get my new dogs vaccines over again?

Would it be harmful to get my new dogs vaccines over again? General Dog Discussions
      I am unable to obtain a copy of his records because the vaccine clinic won't release them to me from the previous owner. I obviously need records on his vaccines. Would it be okay to just take him to my regular vet and have his vaccines done over again?

Would it be harmful to get my new dogs vaccines over again? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't like it. My first girl had too many vaccines. I believe in my heart this caused a lot of her problems, from allergies to uti's. Is there any way the previous would get them for you?

• I have had dogs in the past that i have found on the road and not knowing if they have had shot and depending on age my vet has given them shot not knowing if they have had or not just to be on the safe side! your best bet would probably be if you know the old owner and could get in contact have them go to the vet and get the records if not just talk to your vet she/he might be able to get intouch with the other vet and get records or she/he might just give the shots!GOOD LUCK!!

• Your vet can have you sign a release of records, and the previoius vet/clinic will send the records. NO, it's not okay to have the vaccines done again. Studies have been done, and it's been proven that dogs only need to be vaccinated every 3 years.

• No. An adult dog should not need to be vaccinated as they should already have strong immune systems. We do limited puppy vaccines and only rabies every three years from there on out. I can't imagine vaccinating again just for the sake of records.Talk to the vet about this as I am sure the vet would be able to get them from the previous vet, especially if you actually signed paperwork with the previous owner when ownership was transfered.

• contact your vet to get advice, a titer test can be done but that is usually way more expensive than the vaccine. The only vaccine required is the rabies vaccine, but it is always recommended that you have a DVM examine your new pet shortly after bringing them to a new home. Generally no it is not harmful to have it vaccines redone to current AVMA guidelines. https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/060415i.aspx