How can i treat my constipated Bulldog pup?

Hes 3weeks old and has have this problem for the past few days(3). i squarted abot 5ml of water in his anus with a syringe. Any other advice?

Hes 3weeks old and has have this problem for the past few days(3). i squarted abot 5ml of water in his anus with a syringe. Any other advice?...
    General Dog Discussions : How can i treat my constipated Bulldog pup?...

• How can i treat my constipated Bulldog pup?

How can i treat my constipated Bulldog pup? General Dog Discussions
      Hes 3weeks old and has have this problem for the past few days(3). i squarted abot 5ml of water in his anus with a syringe. Any other advice?

How can i treat my constipated Bulldog pup? General Dog Discussions
    • Constipated Dog. Bloated Dog. Blocked bowel. Blood in stool. What to Do and What Not to DoConstipation: A constipated dog spends longer than usual defecating, and the resultant stools are small, round, and hard. You can bet that if your dog is constipated, she's uncomfortable. One of the main causes of constipation is insufficient water, often coupled with too much time between potty breaks. Always make sure your dog has plenty of fresh water to flush her intestinal tract. If you will be away from home for a long time, arrange for a neighbor or a professional pet sitter to let your dog out to relieve herself. If you have cut back on your dog's food intake to help her lose weight and regain her svelte figure, you can prevent constipation by adding vegetables to her diet. Many people use green beans or other canned or fresh vegetables as a source of vitamins and fiber for their dieting dogs.Don't forget that exercise is a great constipation cure. A long walk or a vigorous game of fetch does a great job of kick-starting a sluggish bowel. With a combination of vegetables and exercise, your dog will be as regular as clockwork in no time.Do NOT give laxatives to your constipated dog. Over-the-counter laxatives are more likely to do harm than good.I have a four week old puppy that is constipated. I have been giving it cottage cheese, goats milk and baby suppositories per my vets instruction but nothing helps. What else can I do?Rarely does a puppy ever become constipated, but if one does, this can be easily corrected by using children's Castoria or by giving an enema. An enema can be given, using a #8 feeding tube, attached to a syringe, filled with approximately 2-5 cc's of warm water (the amount depends on the size of the puppy). Put a dab of Vaseline on the end of the tube and insert it into the rectum, maybe an inch (again, how far in, depends on the size of the puppy). Gently push the plunger until the liquid is entirely gone from the syringe. Within a few minutes, you will get results. Constipation rarely occurs in puppies that are nursing, but it can be a frequent problem in hand-raised litters, especially if the water amount in the formula is not sufficient. If constipation continues to be a problem in the hand-raised litter, a tablespoon of Karo syrup can be added to the formula.Also, another tried and true method for relieving constipation is to take a warm, moist cloth and after feeding the puppy, gently rub it's stomach in a downward direction toward the anus. This mimics the mother dogs tongue as she licks her pups in an attempt to help them eliminate. Use a very light touch when attempting this and if the pup is small, use a moist cotton ball instead of the cloth. The warmth of the cotton ball or cloth, combined with the gentle downward motion will help your pup's constipation problem. Bloating in Dogs is Almost Always Fatal if Not Treated ImmediatelyBloating: My female Dachshund is bloated and has been crying all day. What can I do for her?There is a difference between a dog that is constipated and one that is bloated. Please read the following info and determine for yourself which best fits your dog. Gastric dilation and torsion (more commonly referred to as bloat) is a serious medical emergency that often ends in death. In this condition, the dog's stomach becomes dilated with gas and twists on itself, blocking off blood flow to the stomach and preventing the stomach from emptying. This results in further buildup of gas and initiates a vicious cycle.The actual cause of the condition is not known, but large dogs with deep, narrow chests (such as Doberman Pinschers, Irish Wolfhounds, and Borzoi) have a higher incidence of gastric torsion than smaller dogs with barrel-shaped chests (such as Beagles and Dachshunds). Another factor that contributes to bloat is eating rapidly. Dogs who are picky, slow eaters seem to have a lower incidence of bloat than dogs who scarf down their food like there's no tomorrow.Bloat is one of the most urgent medical emergencies a dog ever faces. A dog suffering from bloat has:Distended abdomenRetchesSalivatesHas trouble breathingMay pace back and forthAppears very uncomfortableIf the dog is not given veterinary treatment within a few hours of developing gastric torsion, she most likely will die. Because bloat is such an acute, life-threatening condition, a dog who develops it when alone usually is found dead by her owner, highlighting the importance of immediate veterinary attention. Dogs who have suffered from bloat should, in the future, be fed multiple, small feedings each day rather than a single large meal.Blocked BowelBlocked Bowel: How do I know if my dog has a blocked bowel? The information regarding constipation may also apply. Has your dog been vomiting? If a dog starts throwing up for long periods of time, it could be a blockage, even if they have diarrhea. Is your dog drinking plenty of water? Dehydration can occur very quickly and and sometimes IV's are necessary. If you suspect your dog has been in distress more than two days, your vet will want to do an x-ray and/or bloodwork. Depending on your vet, sometimes they can tell you what to do over the phone once you have discussed your dog's symptoms.Blood in Stool Dark or Tarry stool: What causes a dark stool?Few things are more frightening than seeing blood in the stool because this is sometimes a warning sign of cancer, at least in people. But in dogs and cats, it generally isn't quite that serious, says Michael Brothers, D.V.M., a veterinarian in private practice in Middletown, Connecticut. Still, blood in the stool is not normal; it always means that something is wrong. When the blood is bright red and on the surface of the stool, there is a good chance that something sharp, like a bit of bone, scraped the lining of the large intestine and made it bleed. The bleeding may continue for a day or two, but it probably won't last much longer. Even small scrapes can cause a lot of bleeding, so don't be surprised when the stools appear quite red. Blood in the stool may also be a sign of parasites, like whipworms, which are irritating the intestine wall. "They are like mosquitoes that make many tiny bites until your pet bleeds," says Dr. Brothers. When the blood looks dark, dry, or tarry and is mixed with the stool, there may be a problem in the small intestine. Some viral infections can temporarily irritate the walls of the small intestine and make it bleed. Blood in the stool can also be a sign of colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine. Finally, bleeding may be caused by an infection of the anal sacs -- two sacs on either side of the anus that contain a strong liquid that pets use to mark their territory. These sacs normally empty whenever your pet has a bowel movement. When the sacs are infected, however, they don't empty the way they should, causing them to swell. Having a bowel movement can irritate the area, causing blood to flow. See Your Vet If... The surface of your pet's stool has spots or smears of bloodHis stool is dark and tarry-lookingPushing on your pet's belly causes her painYour dog or cat hasn't eaten for 24 hours or moreHer abdomen appears bloatedShe has eaten rodent poison, antifreeze, houseplants, or other harmful substancesYour pet has been vomiting for more than a day or is vomiting bloodThere are worms or other parasites in the stoolShe has had diarrhea for 24 hours or moreThere is blood in the stool or it looks dark and tarryShe is scooting across the floor, or the anal area looks swollenYour pet has gained or lost substantial amounts of weightShe is having side effects from medication, like appetite loss or vomitingThere are growths in the anal areaThere is a bulge in her throatShe is drooling much more than usualYour pet vomits shortly after eatingNext Steps: What you can do for your petWhat your vet can do