My Mom has a 5yr old Chihuahua male that seems to be having constipation problems.?

He has had some rectal bleeding from straining so hard. He eats a balanced diet with mostly cooked chicken and broth mixed with dry dog food specifically made for chihuahua's and she usually mixes in some mashed carrots as well. He isn't much of a water…

My Mom has a 5yr old Chihuahua male that seems to be having constipation problems.?

He has had some rectal bleeding from straining so hard. He eats a balanced diet with mostly cooked chicken and broth mixed with dry dog food specifically made for chihuahua's and she usually mixes in some mashed carrots as well. He isn't much of a water…...
    General Dog Discussions : My Mom has a 5yr old Chihuahua male that seems to be having constipation problems.?...

• My Mom has a 5yr old Chihuahua male that seems to be having constipation problems.?

My Mom has a 5yr old Chihuahua male that seems to be having constipation problems.? General Dog Discussions
      He has had some rectal bleeding from straining so hard. He eats a balanced diet with mostly cooked chicken and broth mixed with dry dog food specifically made for chihuahua's and she usually mixes in some mashed carrots as well. He isn't much of a water drinker and he doesn't really like most dog snacks, we aren't sure what else to do at this point?

My Mom has a 5yr old Chihuahua male that seems to be having constipation problems.? General Dog Discussions
    • Cooked meat and veg digests slower than dry dog food. You need to either feed dry food or the other diet.I recommend the BARF diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food). Basically raw meat, bones and a lil bit of veg (Imagine a rabbit carcass). Commercial pet foods were only invented 60 yrs or so ago, dogs digestive systems are not designed for grain based foods. This cause so many health issues and ultimately reduces your dogs life span. Commercial pet food companies sponser veterinary training, as a result vets are taught to promote this commercial pet food and in return get a lot of money from all the health issues it causes.Dr Ian Billinghurst is a vet in Australia who twigged on the fact it makes biological sense to feed them a natural diet. He conducted many studies and uncovered the benefits. I would also get a vet check, to ensure there isn't an underlying cause for the rectal bleeding.

• The first thing to consider is the brand of dog food you use. I would recommend just a plain dry dog food, but contact a vet to get the best suggestion on the brand of food you should be using. Sometimes changing a dogs diet can cause eating problems and digestion problems. Have you recently changed his food? You may consider boiling some plain white rice and mixing about 25% rice and 75% dog food, but i would really recommend getting a vet's opinion before doing anything. Definitely do not give any laxatives to the dog. Hope this was helpful