is it safe for a dog to take human medicine for allergies?

My dog is eating herself. Her legs and feet look horrible from all the gnawing. She receives a weekly bath, given the best dog food, follows up at the vet yearly. I am just concerned for her, and have looked for information to no avail. Please help if…

is it safe for a dog to take human medicine for allergies?

My dog is eating herself. Her legs and feet look horrible from all the gnawing. She receives a weekly bath, given the best dog food, follows up at the vet yearly. I am just concerned for her, and have looked for information to no avail. Please help if…...
    General Dog Discussions : is it safe for a dog to take human medicine for allergies?...

• Half a benadryl. My dog is allergic to bees and still eats them. Her face gets all swollen, so I looked up how to treat it in dogs, and most people said to give her a small amount of benadryl. I gave her half, and it went down alot. Poor puppy!!! Im glad you want to help her though:)

• No it is not. Humans and dogs are built very differently. If she is as bad as you make her sound, I don't think "yearly" vet consultations are nearly enough. She obviously has some sort of skin condition and needs to be seen way more regularly. Don't be cheap and resort to downright dangerous home remedies or remedies for humans. If you have internet access and a PC, you CAN afford professional help for your pet. Give up your web access and sell your PC, do whatever you have to do, but you owe this to your dog.It might be that your are bathing your dog often. Dogs need to be bathed once every few months, not once a week. Bathing her so often stops the skin producing its natural oils which leads to dry, itchy skin and often infection.

• nooo! don't! u don't know what could happen w/ that. the human medicine has things dogs can't take like we can't take dog medicine.my old dog used to gnaw & the skin would be all rashyi would suggest to get 2 the veterinarian they'd probably put a certain ointment for ur doggood luck =)

• All these people are saying no, but actually you can. Not all human medicine is ok to give an animal, but Benadryl is something you can give to a dog. First though you should find out whether or not it's an allergy causing the dog to do this. I have had experience with giving my dog Benadryl...when I first got him I had bathed him with some sort of flea soup that was for puppies, but it was still too strong and he was having a reaction to it. I called the vet and they told me step by step what to do. I had to first bathe him in fresh water to try and wash off any excess. The second thing I had to do was give it a dose of Benadryl. The vet told me how much according to the weight that my dog was to give him. After a little bit he began to perk up again and start acting normal. If I hadn't done this, he would have died.

• You can give her Benadryl (my vet advised me to do this for my dog's allergies.) You need to give her about 1 mg per pound. So if she is a small dog, go get Children's Benadryl. One normal Benadryl is 25 mg (so if you have regular pills you can break them in half if you need to.) Be sure to look for the generic brand, which is way cheaper. I would wrap it in cheese or some sort of treat. Your dog will probably be sleepy afterwards.

• External - go to a pet store and wash pet may helpInternal - absolutely no human meds; their systems are structured very differently from us, and the meds could be toxic. For example, bakers chocolate will kill a dog (don't know if would do that to a cat). You and I can eat cooked bakers chocolate, but it is deadly to pets.The same with other human-related items.Also, hot water for adding to a pet's food or for warm water in the winter is bad also. The calcium kicked up in your water heater will be transported by the hot water, this in turn will produce kidney stones in dogs.Be safe; call a vets office for suggestions and/or go to a neighborhood pet store. Worth the cost to do it right.031209 3:33

• NOOOOOOOOIt is not healthy for any animal to take human sedative that could lead to weird consequences and they could end up dying from a disease called Erythema.

• If you are talking about allergy meds...No, No, No, No. Have your dog blood tested for allergies. My shepherd was itching himself raw and found that he had dust mite allergies. He is now a very happy guy.

• First of all, you are washing your dog way too much! You are actually stripping your pet from its natural defenses, the oils that keeps its skin moist. When you strip it of its oils, it gets real dry and then your dog scratches the crap out of itself, cause its so itchy from being dry causing all kinds of problems.Don't ever get an animal human drugs! You have no idea what the dog's problem is to begin with. So, you would be harming your pet even more!Call the vet, she may have another problem. But it seems like if you jost stop bathing her every week that will help. Don't ever bath your dog more than 1 time a month. Thats the maximum!Good Luck

• Dogs should not be given human medication unless recommended by a vet. If money is an issue, mention this to the vet, they may have a suggestion. Many human allergy medication contain either ibuprofin or acetemetophen, which are both toxic to dogs.