Can I administer vaccinations to my own dog instead of going to vet?

For instance I would like to save 50$ by purchacing vaccinations (rabies and rubella) online for only 7$ and administering to my dog via needle injection. Are there qualifications for doing these types of procedures?

For instance I would like to save 50$ by purchacing vaccinations (rabies and rubella) online for only 7$ and administering to my dog via needle injection. Are there qualifications for doing these types of procedures?...
    General Dog Discussions : Can I administer vaccinations to my own dog instead of going to vet?...

• Can I administer vaccinations to my own dog instead of going to vet?

Can I administer vaccinations to my own dog instead of going to vet? General Dog Discussions
      For instance I would like to save 50$ by purchacing vaccinations (rabies and rubella) online for only 7$ and administering to my dog via needle injection. Are there qualifications for doing these types of procedures?

Can I administer vaccinations to my own dog instead of going to vet? General Dog Discussions
    • you should try and see if you have any nurrses or people in the feild of medicine in your family to give the shot it can be done wrong so maybe you should let the vet do it

• Can I administer vaccinations to my own dog instead of going to vet? You can give your own vaccinations but it is not in place of going to the vet. Rabies must be given by a vet. Your pets need a yearly vet exam. They do not need yearly shots. Rabies is a 3 year shot in most places now but you have to ask for it. Depeing on location you dont need vaccination and those you do need can be given every 3 years. For instance I would like to save 50$ by purchacing vaccinations (rabies and rubella) online for only 7$ and administering to my dog via needle injection. Are there qualifications for doing these types of procedures?Rabies is only accepted by lisced vets. Why and what is rubella? Have you even given vaccines? Do you know what a reaction would look like? Have your vet show you how one time first.

• I think that is a really bad idea. If you love your dog you will just take it to the vet. Think before you do it. Also, there are certian places where each shot goes. You can't just stick the needle in anywhere.

• I vaccinate my dogs and cats at home using sterile syringes bought from a veterinary supply store, the same one I buy the vaccinations from. In Canada, the only one I cannot give is the Rabies vaccine, as it is restricted due to being a live specimen.If you have any training, it is easy and not stressful to your animal. Make sure to verify what type of vaccination is required for each type: ie, subquetaneous or intra-muscular.

• My county requires a vaccination certificate from a certified vet.I don't know wher you live, so, I'd call the vet and ask them whether you need a rabies tag. Just drop the $50. They need more than rabies and rubella(?) bordatella, distemper, come to mind. Good luck

• I have been doing it for years. Get a 5 or 7 way vaccination and you will be covered year after year. You need a license to admin rabies vacc. though so you will still need to visit the vet every 3 years. I copy my vet on the vacc. receipt each time so he has copies on file in case I lose track of mine. It's easy and you avoid having to freak your dog out.

• Yes you can. Go to your local farm feed store to buy it. You can also ask them questions about ho wto administer etc. Many Dog groomers answer questions about that sort of stuff too. Call ask one.

• Yes you can, as long as you know how to do it. Look on the vaccination and see how you are supposed to do it. IV means intravenous, and I would leave that to the vet, SC, sub cutaneous, means under the skin, usually done under the skin on the back of the neck, and is pretty easy, and the last one is IM, intramuscular, and is usually shot right into the mucle of a rear thigh. Also pretty easy. It helps to have a helper who can properly restrain your pet.

• The most important thing is that the vaccine has to be kept at the proper temperature for it to be good. If you purchase it online and it gets too warm then it won't be any better than giving them a shot of water! And you can buy shots from places live Farmer's Co-ops but you never know if they have been kept at the correct temperature. I work for a vet and she will sell the vaccine to people if they want to do it at a reduced price.Check the vets in your area to see if any of them will sell you the shots and that would be your best bet. But the most important part of the shot is the exam that goes with it, in my opinion. Where I live a vet has to give the Rabies shot. The state will not recognize the shot if not given by a vet. You most shots are given subq, just under the skin of the animal, but you have to draw back on the syringe to be certain that you didn't hit a vein also.

• Sure you can - I've done it for years. You can get your vaccines on line or even some pharmacies carry them. There are even states that allow you to administer your own rabies vaccine - not many though. What I do, is take a small note pad, write the date and then peel off the label on the vaccination bottle, so that if I ever have to verify that I did give the vaccines, I can show when and what was given. It's simple to inject, just lift some skin around the neck or butt area, insert needle and give it a squeeze. Now for Bordtella, it's a liquid that you will mix, and then it gets squirted into the dogs nostrils - they say you have to get 1/2 into each nostril, but trust me - it's a one shot deal. They know what's coming the second nostril, and it's difficult, almost impossible to get them to be still, so just get it all in there the first squeeze.

• I don't know about qualifications. My groomer told me she or I could do the vaccinations on my dogs. She just took the needle and poked it between the shoulder blades and voila the animals were vaccinated! The good thing was, it did even seem to bother my dogs, I think they may have thought they were just getting their dose of Frontline.

• My 14 year old daughter has been vaccinating all our rescues for 5 years. Lift the skin on the back of the neck and stick the needle just under the skin not in tissue. She also draws blood and does Heartworm testing herself and draws blood for combo testing of cats. Rabies must be given by a vet and it is every three years after the first year. I think this is good because even if the pet is healthy the vet may notice something we don't. When they administer the rabies they will listen to the heart and lungs and give them a good looking over.

• Get the seven in one shot at any pet store or co-op store and yes it is safe. You just raise the skin up above the shoulders and inject under the skin and then rub it a little bit and your done. Been doing it for many many years. As far as the rabies depending on where your at u will probally have to go to a vet. I know here they r fixing to make it legal to buy and administer the rabies shots.

• OF COURSE YOU CAN!!! **BUT** rabies vaccine MAY NOT be legally shipped into your state *&* MOST agencies will NOT accept your doing it for licenes. CHECK LOCAL REGS!! Other vaccines are NO PROBLEM!!! You can pick up vaccines & syringes at farm supply stores. KNOW WHAT you're BUYING!!!Been DIY for DECADES!! Will NOT give lcombo w/lepto to pups!!