Why is my American bull dog chewing her paws?

She is 9 months old...she never used to chew or naw at her paws before...just recently within the last 3 weeks it has gotten worse. They do look dry..could that cause it?? Is this something I need to be worried about??

She is 9 months old...she never used to chew or naw at her paws before...just recently within the last 3 weeks it has gotten worse. They do look dry..could that cause it?? Is this something I need to be worried about??...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is my American bull dog chewing her paws?...

• Why is my American bull dog chewing her paws?

Why is my American bull dog chewing her paws? General Dog Discussions
      She is 9 months old...she never used to chew or naw at her paws before...just recently within the last 3 weeks it has gotten worse. They do look dry..could that cause it?? Is this something I need to be worried about??

Why is my American bull dog chewing her paws? General Dog Discussions
    • I had a similar experience with my chihuahua mix dog. When i took her to the vet I was informed that she had a fungus and was given medication to apply to the affected areas. That might be the only solution, to take your dog to the vet.

• Well, her paws could have been irritated which caused her to start chewing on them. Now they may either still be irritated from something she comes in contact with (carpet cleaner, rock salt, laundry detergent on beds and clothing, etc.) or they are now just chapped from the chewing. Try washing her paws and then give them a very light coat of vassaline to moisturize and protect them, then try to keep her from licking them. If they don't heal and she keeps biting them, then you should try to figure out what she may be allergic to.Good luck!

• If it's just one paw, there's something wrong with that paw. If it's all her paws, it's most likely either a neurotic habit she's developed (yes, dogs do sometimes develop weird habits ... if you can distract her with treats, it may be this) OR the problem is being caused by something she's walking on.It could be a fungus or an infection of some sort, but it could be an allergy or sensitivity to grass or some cleaning product that you use on your floors. Do her paws look inflamed or infected? Do they smell bad? If so, she needs to see the vet.If not ... if they just seem to be bothering her but you can't see why, try this: Several times a day, sponge her paws in a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and warm water. Try for 10 or 15 minutes each time (if she'll let you!). Then gently pat her feet dry ... don't rinse.The taste and smell of the vinegar will discourage her from chewing her paws, and the vinegar helps to soothe and heal skin irritations. Vinegar is absolutely safe if she DOES lick or chew the area. If you notice that she's stopped chewing after 2 or 3 days of using the vinegar, you may have solved the problem. If not, or if her feet are becoming noticeably inflamed or if she's having any trouble walking, please have her seen by the vet.