Am I being neurotic about fleas?

My mother's dog has fleas and since she went away for the weekend, I've had to take care of the house and dog. Two weeks ago I found bites on my legs and would see little pepper-like particles jump on my comforter but I probably only saw 5 at most in my…

My mother's dog has fleas and since she went away for the weekend, I've had to take care of the house and dog. Two weeks ago I found bites on my legs and would see little pepper-like particles jump on my comforter but I probably only saw 5 at most in my…...
    General Dog Discussions : Am I being neurotic about fleas?...

• Am I being neurotic about fleas?

Am I being neurotic about fleas? General Dog Discussions
      My mother's dog has fleas and since she went away for the weekend, I've had to take care of the house and dog. Two weeks ago I found bites on my legs and would see little pepper-like particles jump on my comforter but I probably only saw 5 at most in my bed over a 1 month period.I used flea powder twice on my oriental rug, once on my bed, and my blankets have all been washed/dried/bleached in hot water. I also used a spray on my bed numerous times as well as the carpet and on my PapaSun chair cushion. I also sprayed my room's perimeters and floor cracks.I did the carpets/couches with powder and all of the cushions and dog bed. I repeated this again today and used the spray on the perimeters of the couches and underneath.The spray contains the growth regulator and I'm pretty sure the powder does too. Do I need to get a fogger? Should I dry clean all of my clothes in my closet? Most of them can't be dried in a regular home dryer and I really don't have the extra $ for that.The dog has on flea medicine but is still itchy, itchy, itchy. I feel awful because she looks so unhappy and in pain but I can see a lot of the dead fleas already scattered on the floor and where she's been sleeping.I've been taking her for walks to get her mind off the itching because that's all she can do. What else should I do? Just wait it out? Buy more products and repeat? WIll they even work if the fleas haven't all been killed on the dog yet? I know the medicine is a gradual process and can't be applied all at once. PLEASE HELP, I'm really clueless and lost...and itchy and haven't been able to sleep more than 3 hours since I found out Friday.Two weeks ago when I found the bites on me and one or two fleas in my bed, my mother didn't believe me. This weekend since she went away, I had my older sister come over to look at the dog because she was always itching too, and my sister saw the fleas on her.I'm only 16 so I couldn't go to the vet to get the medicine, but my sister got over the counter flea medicine that she put on the dog's neck and down her back. I heard it takes 48 hours or something like that for a live flea to actually die so maybe that's why she's still itching?

Am I being neurotic about fleas? General Dog Discussions
    • i would use a fogger. try given the poor itchy dog a flea dip at a grooming salon maybe at petsmart... or petco...what flea meds are you using on her?if it's not frontline, i suggest frontline. you only apply in between the shoulder blade on her back and it will spread everywhere on its own. just be sure to apply it directly to the skin. i think it has some kind of garlic oil, that when the flea bites her, it died instantly.but yes, i suggest a fogger... or some kind of in-home flea spray.

• Adam's Flea Spray works wonders. Spray it and you see them die.The spray can be used on the animals and your furniture/etc to kill the fleas, but for long-term and very trustworthy results, use a flea preventative (Advantix, FrontLine, etc) for your mother's dog. No only are the fleas uncomfortable to you, they are for the dog, too. Think of having all this bugs crawling around on your skin and biting you all day and night. Awful.Hopefully your Mom will realize the problem she has...maybe you can convince her.Been there and it's not too fun, but you can get them to go away. Good luck!

• Most important thing is to take a 2nd look at what you've used already. Are they over the counter products from the petshop? Or are they products from the vet such as Frontline, Stronghold, Revolution, and the long-lasting sprays from the vet for the house? The former generally don't work, the latter may be more expensive but have a much better chance of solving your problem.I don't think you're being neurotic. Fleas love biting me, and on the odd occasion where one of the animals has brought home visitors, I'm like John Goodman in Arachnophobia. Can't stand the little hopping, biting blighters. Best form of attack though are the veterinary products. Check with the vet when it will be safe to administer them though as you've used a lot of others already I assume? The other best form of attack is defence, and making sure the dog is treated regularly with a product that offers protection, such as Frontline, Stronghold, etc (along with any other animals susceptible in your home) will be the best method of preventing infestation in the future. Carry on the good battle! Good luck comrade! ;o)

• It appears that the ones came with the dog have infested your house and keep coming back onto the dog and vice versa. You should speak with your vet how you should handle with this problem effectively. I am not sure but maybe you will have to close the house until it is cleaned and take the poor one to a vet for some medicines and hospitalization for a little while. This may be a good solution to break the cycle between the fleas in the house and the dog.Good luck

• you can't get rid of the dogs fleas if they are still in your house and visa versayou have to go to the shop and buy flea bombs and flea stuff for you dog( fontline,excel pet or revolution)you put one drop on your dogs neck an it will be flea free for up to 6 weeks , but you have to treat the dog and the house at the same time.plus wash the dogs bedding.if you use the flea bombs and leave you wardrbe open it will kill the fleas . those tiny specks of pepper you see are baby fleas and the eggs and lava is living in your carpet. once you bomb your house and treat your dog all you will have to do is treat the dog every 6 weeks and you won't have a flea problem ever againhope this info helps you

• The safest and cheapest method of getting rid of fleas is to use a mixture of boric acid and salt. The powder should be sprayed on carpets, bedding and areas frequented by pets. More information on getting rid of fleas is available at http://pests.in/fleas.html