why does my cat ruby bite and eat my blanket she bites it and then swallows it like its food?

she will lay on the blanket and then sometime after her nap she bites the blanket and swallows it is she delusional

why does my cat ruby bite and eat my blanket she bites it and then swallows it like its food?

she will lay on the blanket and then sometime after her nap she bites the blanket and swallows it is she delusional...
    General Dog Discussions : why does my cat ruby bite and eat my blanket she bites it and then swallows it like its food?...

• why does my cat ruby bite and eat my blanket she bites it and then swallows it like its food?

why does my cat ruby bite and eat my blanket she bites it and then swallows it like its food? General Dog Discussions
      she will lay on the blanket and then sometime after her nap she bites the blanket and swallows it is she delusional

why does my cat ruby bite and eat my blanket she bites it and then swallows it like its food? General Dog Discussions
    • It's called "pica" - eating non-food objects. Specifically when they do it with fabrics it's often referred to as "wool-eating", though it's not always just wool, it can be other materials too. Sometimes it is due to them being separated from their mother too young . But that's not always the reason. It can be various things-- it can be hunger, or some nutritional deficiency. It can be boredom. And in many cases it seems to be related to stress, and the sucking / chewing / eating fabric seems to be some attempt to self-comfort. You have to try to keep stuff away from them that they will eat. because if they really go nuts with this they might block their intestine. One Siamese breeder told me that she thinks especially intelligent cats can be prone to this and it's like how very intelligent dog breeds can get neurotic if they are left alone too much and don't have a "job". So maybe a cat with that issue might benefit from clicker training or anyway more activity interacting with their people. I did find that my cat who did this, did it less when I kept him busier , played with him more time each day, playing fetch and chasing wand/ lure toys, and a game he made up that is a combination of the two.) I also got him some of the Petmate Dental Chew Toys that have catnip stalks inside. and that helped satisfy his urge to chew. In serious cases vets even put them on Prozac for this. Fortunately I never had to resort to it.